• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Rifle Guy with M1A question

Ed Nauseam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2008
Lake Tahoe / Minden Nev.
With respect to the M1A / M14, I have always been amazed at how the front parts assembly (gas plug, gas cyl and gas piston hold(s) up to the constant forward hammering. How does a rifle design hold it's zero after such a constant smacking, I continue to ask myself. :p

At any rate, here's my question -

When the gas plug is removed should the operating rod end NOT make contact with the rear face of the gas cylinder ?

When the gas plug is threaded securely in place is it supposed to extend out much past the rear face of the gas cylinder, thus pushing the operating rod back some ?

FWIW - Aside ~

I don't take the m1a rifle out of the safe very often as, again, I'm accustomed to shooting bolt guns.

So tell me, what keeps the business end (fore end parts assembly) from eventually flying off of the end of the barrel ? It would just seem that such a repetition of force would eventually take the threads off.

Oh well

laugh.gif