• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Rifle Options

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am looking for my first bolt rifle to shoot at 100 and 200 yards (local range), and less frequently to 600 and 1000 yards (range 100 miles away). I would like opinions of these rifles (or others), as to suitability. Insufficient, wrong round, twist, better option elsewhere?

Savage 10FCP McMillan. 308, 1:10" twist, 24" barrel.
http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm

Savage Long Range Precision Varminter. 6 Norma BR, 1:8' or 12" twist, 26" barrel. Also available in .223 Remington, 1:7" or 9" twist.
http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

Also, was considering the F-Class Savage target rifles. Remingtons too but could not really find anything here that seemed suitable. I am sure I must be missing something.

- Phil

Re: Bolt Rifle Options

I'd do the 1-7" twist 223 if it were me......but then again I'm a fan of the fast twist 223/223AI for shooting even to the 1000yard line. Cheaper brass, cheaper bullets, not a lot of powder, no recoil to speak of, long strings of fire, great barrel life......win/win/win/win/win/win.

You say the bulk of your shooting is 200yd and less so the 223 would be a no-brainer to me, and the fast twist with the heavy/high BC bullets will take you to the 600 and 1000yard lines just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do the 1-7" twist 223 if it were me......but then again I'm a fan of the fast twist 223/223AI for shooting even to the 1000yard line. Cheaper brass, cheaper bullets, not a lot of powder, no recoil to speak of, long strings of fire, great barrel life......win/win/win/win/win/win.

You say the bulk of your shooting is 200yd and less so the 223 would be a no-brainer to me, and the fast twist with the heavy/high BC bullets will take you to the 600 and 1000yard lines just fine. </div></div>

+1

EVERYBODY should have at least one well built fast twist 223. They'll have a bunch of your other rifles gathering dust.....won't they 7mmRM? (grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dendvc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check into the Remington "5-r Milspec" it is a acusport exclusive gun so you won't find it on remington site. it was orig avalable in 308, but they just came out with it in 223 & 300 WM.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLG_enUS307US307&num=20&q=remington+5-r </div></div>

OK, so where do I find the 5-R? Is Acusport a vendor? I found this review of the rifle in .308. I'll go with the .223.

- Phil

Acusport is a distributor, so you will need to find a dealer that buys from them

or How about this

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1149261#Post1149261

Gotta love the search function...

Now I do see that the 223 5-r is a 1-9 twist. I personally have the 308 and just did get a first production run in 6.8 that appears to be the same 5-r "style" (24" SS HB) I have not played with the 223

I will need to practice my shooting skills, so using .223 makes good financial sense. And as stated here, plenty enough for the majority of shooting at 100 and 200 yards. The only Savage rifle I am interested in with a fast twist (1:7") is the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter, single shot, right bolt, and left side eject. I have handled this gun, with scope, and it is heavy. 12 lbs, with no optics. 26" long barrel, and it is 1.0" at the muzzle, making it quite nose heavy. The stock is HS Precision with a molded alloy bedding system. I was not so impressed with the stock, but suppose I could change that out later.

I gather from some responses here that the 1:9" twist is not enough for longer ranges. Even just to 600 yards? I am looking to shoot tiny groups.

I PM'd on the 5R for sale above.

- Phil

Remmy 5-r.

I currently own a savage, its been a great rifle, but wished I would have saved my money and waited for a 5-r. I purchased what I could afford at the time and ended up with a platform that has limited after market parts.

As for caliber, I would stick with 308 even though you will spend most of your time at 200 yrds and less. What little time I have been shooting with the guys at Sac Valley, I have yet to come across a 223 on the 1000 yrd line. Not that you can't.

Another thing to consider when you make your trips out to Sac Valley is that you will not be able to knock the rams over at 500 meters with a 223. Once you get into the groove and want to join in the steel matches, you will be at a disadvantage, if we don't shoot club steel. If you are looking to just get started and don't anticipate getting addicted, then a 223 will be a good inital rig.

Good luck.

Get the savage long range precision in 223. I have one in 22-250 and it is a great rifle. The most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever had. It is not your normal savage, the finish is way better than the non-target action savage rifles and about the price as the Remington

only problem I had with my 10FCP McM was the 24" barrel. I easily cured that with a band saw and a lathe. it's now 20", has a rifle basix trigger, and SSS bolt knob. it shoots sub MOA with GMM or BH match ammo without any sort of bedding.

the only thing I miss owning a savage is the lack of choices or bottom metal for AICS mags.

LM

I very much like the 10FCP, but ammo costs do concern me. Maybe a question for the reloading forum, but how much difference in costs between .223 and .308? Also, for someone new like me, would it not make more sense to shoot something less recoil intensive (avoid developing a flinch). As a gauge to my tolerance, I shot an M1A 308 with military surplus ammo off a bench. It kicked harder than I expected. It was OK, but would not want anymore. This ammo consistently put out a 10" diameter flash at the muzzle, impressive at dusk! Maybe it was a hot load, not sure.

- Phil

Besides the Savage 10FCP McMillan, I also rather like the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter in .223 and even more intriguing is the 6 Norma BR chambering. I want to shoot tiny groups at 100, 200 yards primarily, and out further on occasion. Given that, what are pros and cons between it and the Remington 5R in .223?

Savage Long Range Precision Varminter. 6 Norma BR, 1:8' or 12" twist, 26" barrel. Also available in .223 Remington, 1:7" or 9" twist.
http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

- Phil