• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Salvageable?

sanpedroranch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Forgot that I worked this load up in the winter. I recall factory 700 bolts being (3) pieces. Had a piece of the bolt face that the rim of the case sits below blow clean off. Time order a new PTG bolt or is this salvageable?

Attachments

• IMG_8085.jpeg
    IMG_8085.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 298
Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t realize there was other options. Only had to use there bolts twice. What has been your issue(s) with PTG?

Dave Kiff and PTG are slower than crap IF they ever do ship.

Many folks (both home folks with skills and pros) have stopped doing business with them.

Mack Bros will get you hooked up.

You can also talk to @LongRifles Inc. as they do good work on TIG and machine repairs.
Not sure about there, and worth asking.

People freak out about all sorts of things. Check head space, reduce load. It's probably fine. You don't need to replace it with an impact action and a zco.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Forgot that I worked this load up in the winter. I recall factory 700 bolts being (3) pieces. Had a piece of the bolt face that the rim of the case sits below blow clean off. Time order a new PTG bolt or is this salvageable?
PT& G Bolts are available today free shipping at Midway, I've never had an issue with the few I've used...

It's fine. Clean it and keep going.
Yeah, totally...it will still work. Just take a cleaning rod with ya incase the extraxtor has blown away or inoperable, Open the bolt knock the spent case out with a cleaning rod. Or Install an m 16 extractor. It can be repaired, a new Remington extractor about $18, if it still fits in what's left of the recess. Machine and press fit in a partial new piece of steel....Adapt and overcome. Too many good choices. Or buy an new bolt, that will need to be headspaced

My issue was they said item in stock.

Purchased and never received.

Filed a dispute with my credit card company.

Then they use a restocking fee for something that was never sent as a revenue stream.

I’m not knocking their quality it’s their business practice.

If you can buy through a retailer that carries their products, I don’t have an issue with that.

I just really don’t want to give them any business at all.

Besides all the machine work you had to do to get them up and running.....
Generally the bolt fits but it's not a drop in, and it requires the m16 extractor be installed... you may have to file or buff the m16 extractor to get it to fit...if the headspace is off and most likely will be because of tolerance stackup. In components. So ya need a go gauge and a no go gauge. If you were lucky and some are it fits the go and stops on the no go.
But the bolt body or bolt nose, or barrel counterbore could be a problem. And requires machining, as well as a headspace adjustment, and the barrel removed, and or opening the barrel counter bore to fit the extractor. But the usual dia of the bolt is about .700" so it generally slides through the bridges front and rear, as most run .702" to .704" ish. This is easy if ya have the tools and a lathe, just incase.
Everyone wants a dropin perfect fit, but thats not how it works and get angry when it doesn't...but it says "should be installed by a competent gunsmith" at the product sales site...before you buy. You could buy one and have it fit and be on in headspace...but that would be just luck. That's just how it is,.. for now. If ya measure the bolt reciever bore accurately or the dia of the bolt body in the rifle ...you could request that diameter, but noone at Midway can probably read a micrometer, but that would be a big help, the bolt fits the raceway ..but there is no real customer service these days...just read the order, package, and ship.

No, there is real customer service nowadays. PTGs customer service just sucks so bad they have driven most people away.

That doesnt really sound like "never had a problem with one." I know you mentioned having to re-drill extractor holes in the other thread, where you claimed these bolts save you time and money.

Reactions: Average guy
No, there is real customer service nowadays. PTGs customer service just sucks so bad they have driven most people away.

That doesnt really sound like "never had a problem with one." I know you mentioned having to re-drill extractor holes in the other thread, where you claimed these bolts save you time and money.
Yep, cause they're readily available from Midway, & ship the same day. I don't have to wait months, I can build a complete rifle in one day and load for it, & be shooting the next day. From barrel blank, PT&G bolt, threading, chambering, action truing, muzzle brake, bolt knob, extractor install, etc. Totally works for me.
The extractor is a seperate piece, and ,"may" require a bit of deburring or file strokes, one had a slightly tight cross pin hole..just drill, one number drill larger, perfect operation...simple. 15 minutes, its assembled and working perfectly. Too bad so many can't run a drill or a file, and have no mechanical skills, or problem solvings skills ...this age of incompetentency is amazing. Expect others to do everything for you...If you have no skill, pay a gunsmith to fit the bolt...It is "not sold" as a drop in part...and whining about that all day, won't change it...you don't like that, don't buy it. It will leave a larger inventory for me to choose from..ships same day, excellent for building a new rifle project... and so simple.

You don't need problem solving skills if you never had a problem with one.
I obviously do not have a problem with PT&G bolts...You do.
I understand what "not a drop in" means, You obviously do not...and like a child who requires slip-on shoes cause you never learned to tie your own shoes...and believe to tie your own shoes to be a big problem...when it's obviously not...and jealous of those who can,...buy shoes with laces and parts that "need fitting", not a problem for me, but expected. While you sit still whining, about "not a drop in"... not dropping in, for you. Understanding the English language isn't that hard...for most.

I understand what "not a drop in" means, You obviously do not...and like a child who requires slip-on shoes cause you never learned to tie your own shoes...and believe to tie your own shoes to be a big problem...when it's obviously not...and jealous of those who can,...buy shoes with laces and parts that "need fitting", not a problem for me, but expected. While you sit still whining, about "not a drop in"... not dropping in, for you. Understanding the English language isn't that hard...for most.
I don't have any more problems with PTG parts. I don't deal with those idiots anymore. Especially not when there are better companies making a better product for the same or less money, and have actual customer service.

Ya, I am the one who doesn't understand the language. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm still waiting on a PT&G dbm for a FN SPR I ordered in March..... I new tge risks and understand. But never again.
Order in stock PT&G from Midway, ships immediately, bolt will arrive on a few days...buy a couple and have instock replacement bolts at home, with several bolt face diameters. I have extra bolts and recievers on hand. Same with barrels buy from in stock suppliers, barrel will arrive in a few days...go to manufacturer and wait months or a year for the same barrel, or action, as you are now last in line...but waiting on the shelf to be purchased at one of the barrel selling outlets.

Order in stock PT&G from Midway, ships immediately, bolt will arrive on a few days...buy a couple and have instock replacement bolts at home, with several bolt face diameters. I have extra bolts and recievers on hand. Same with barrels buy from in stock suppliers, barrel will arrive in a few days...go to manufacturer and wait months or a year for the same barrel, or action, as you are now last in line...but waiting on the shelf to be purchased at one of the barrel selling outlets.
No body stocks the FN SPR DBM that takes AICS mags or I would have.

Reactions: jetmd
No body stocks the FN SPR DBM that takes AICS mags or I would have.
FN stripped bolts $76. Free shipping at Numrich Arms gun parts they had a bunch LA & SA with standard & mag bolt faces. Midwest gun works used to carry FN parts too.check them out to see if you can use any of these parts.

we get it Dave. you think your shit don't stink. go to LRH if you want people who deal with shit products because 'nostalgia' and 'the original'

there's a reason the majority of people here use non R700 actions...because they just run without all these issues, which PTG just makes worse because about everything they make is meh. if you need another BAT/Zermatt/Terminus bolt you just order one and guess what it fits with zero issue

It's very fixable- machine the bolt, solder in a sleeve and fit an M16 extractor.
1690378430554.jpeg

1690378550343.jpeg

1690378589377.jpeg

1690378657745.jpeg

Attachments

• 1690378507605.jpeg
    1690378507605.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Baron23
What's it look like all cleaned up? Trying to diagnose a problem with it like the original pics isn't a good idea. Clean it and see what the issue is. If you just blew out the extractor you can pop another in yourself.

Reactions: moosemeat