• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt stop/release Mod

Re: Bolt stop/release Mod

I am curious about this too, looks like a great mod, and if parts/drawings were available, doesn't look too hard to accomplish....

Thanks, nice actions on that site....

The "accessories" link is under construction,

use the "parts/prices" link and scroll down to bolt stop under accessories header....

i've seen a Remington action with a Ruger bolt stop installed on it.

O.K. you motivated me to add this to my current project. Lucky I have a predator right here for location. Should make it pretty easy.

yes. like that. i believe he used a Ruger M77 MKII bolt stop, but it looks the same as the Hawkeye bolt stop. it needs a small window milled in the action and a hole D&T. i don't remember if it needed a small flat milled on the side of the action or not, tho. possibly.

MVC-570F.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like this?

(right hand side of the page, a third of the way down)
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

<span style="font-weight: bold">Looks similar to the mauser type bolt stop.
</span>
</div></div>

yeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does this mod do?
and why should i want it? </div></div>

On a Rem 700 it takes the bolt release mechanism off of the trigger assembly and puts it on the side of the action.... it's stronger, and it looks nice
wink.gif
( I am interested in the GAP or Stiller type, not the mauser type...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GA Precision does it.

Rich
</div></div>

I can't speak for Firemarshall,
I like to do gunsmithing as a hobby,
I have a lathe and a mill and am a professional welder..
I am not LE or a competitive shooter, so the building is as much fun as the shooting for me...
cool.gif

BTW, the mauser bolt stop also houses the ejector, not sure about the Rugers....

The Stiller or GAP kind is much smaller/refined, and for bolt stop purposes only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">defensive industries does one for rem 700 </div></div>

Do you have a link?

if you goto yahoo images, side bolt release, the pictures from this site are a good example

I'm pretty sure that GAP uses the bolt stop made be Defiance Machine. I've been checking on some of these myself, and they will supply a "KIT" for $25, but no print to go by. So if you want one you will have to do the measuring yourself, or send it to me at OLD LODGE ARMORY and we'll install one for you. Sorry had to put a plug in for the shop.

Mark

wow, great pics. Looks like something I'll definitely have done. Does this mod override the trigger bolt release and how? If I was to get a jewel trigger put in, then the bolt mod, do they do anything to the trigger to negate the bolt release? Thank you

I really like the one from Karl Kampfeld. High enough to keep it out of the stock, large lever, and no retaining pin hole on top of the receiver to collect junk.

index019022.jpg

I have a box full of them here at the shop.

The one's I make are essentially clones to what Nesika Bay Precision uses on their actions.

They are made from SS and are a touch softer than the bolt to ensure the part doesn't peen the lugs when cycling. This is an important feature as over time a hard bolt stop will destroy the surface finish of the lug. (which is counterproductive to the whole blueprint/lapping thing. . .)