• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Won't Slide Back...?

Tribe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Wetside, WA
Surgeon 591 WSM action, Remmy trigger... Fired round, released bolt, no stick, no stuck case... with bolt in "Up" position, it will slide back 1/8", and is obstructed by something very stout. It feels like the lug hasn't cleared, but that seems physically impossible... I'm guessing something to do with the cocking/trigger mechanisms? The bolt cocks, and the trigger functions.....?

Re: Bolt Won't Slide Back...?

Does it have a magazine, or hinged floor plate. Maybe that is causing a problem, or you can at least see from underneath?

Mag fed... same problem with mag in or out... can see from underneath... just the bottom of the bolt... nothing that tells me anything.

try backing the action screws out a little at a time starting with the front action screw.

I should mention that I had shot 19 rounds prior.... today...

Check to make sure your cocking piece/firing pin assembly didn't break off and jam up into your trigger mechanism. Had that happen to buddies rifle the other day. Jammed it up just like you are talking about. Solution was to drop action from stock. Then pull trigger from the action to get everything opened. New firing pin assembly and all was well.

your rear action screw is screwed to far in! back the rear screw out a little and the bolt should slide free.

as the getelman said before check the action screws, however also check the cutout on the stock where the action screws sit because you may have had a defect in the stock or the milling and it actually pushed in since you have fired you 18 rounds! it happened to me but with a crack in the stock! hope this helps

On second thought, did you have any work done on the trigger recently? If so, the action screws might not be the problem. I think you might have to remove the action from the stock and see if the bolt is still jammed. If it is, a piece within the trigger assembly might be the cause of this problem.

Good luck, my Friend.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.... one of the first things I did was removed the action... I think it is something in the trigger mechanism.... yes, Ranger... I have had some trigger work done recently
wink.gif
... it feels great... just wont shoot...
cry.gif
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Remove the action from the stock, then remove the tigger and see if that works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the thoughts guys.... one of the first things I did was removed the action... I think it is something in the trigger mechanism.... yes, Ranger... I have had some trigger work done recently
wink.gif
... it feels great... just wont shoot...
cry.gif
blush.gif
crazy.gif
</div></div>

My condolences, I feel your pain.
frown.gif

That happens to me all the time when I am putting scope mounts on Mausers. I need to trim the scope mount screws until it doesn't do that.

Thanks for all the ideas guys...

Get this.... Ends up, the roller pin that retains the ejector/spring backed out - and not just a little bit, but about half way! Had to remove the barrel, and really work that sucker with a fricken' screw driver, to slide it back into position. We couldn't get a good enough angle at it to work it all the way back in, and finally had to grind back the last little nub, in order to free the bolt and replace the pin.

Up and runnin' again... but man... never would have guessed....
confused.gif

Un-frikkin believeable! I never would have guessed that. Heck, I've never even heard of such a thing happening! Did you loctite a new pin in? If that rifle keeps giving you problems, I trade you a nice weatherby .308 for it ...
wink.gif

Thats a first! would have never guessed. Glad you got it worked out though.

Yeah... crazy huh... the more I think about it, the stranger it is... that thing had to have jumped out of there over the corse of ONE shot.... it wasn't like it slowly worked it's way out of there..... strange indeed.

Ranger... as far as the trade... I'm just getting her worked in enough now, to be comfortable hangin' out... hammerin' on her, and taken to her with power tools and all.... a scratch here, a ding there... I think she's a keeper!
whistle.gif

Make sure you stake the new pin into place so this doesnt happen again.