• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt work by Dan of www.accu-tig.com

ROUGH

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2007
arvada colorado
Well after doing a lot of research I had decided to replace the bolt handle on my 700.
After seeing a few pictures of threaded handles that broke at the joint & oversized knob
I decided to contacted Dan Armstrong of http://www.accu-tig.com/
After a few phone conversations my bolt was off to Dan.
Dan took the time to explain to me everything involved in the process.
Total time took about 1 week to get the bolt back in my hands, at a total price of $95.00.

What follows is a pictorial review with an explanation of each image.

This is the bolt as it arrived to me, the handle I chose is the
CNC'd straight handle with the ball knob, made of 4130 steel.
I chose this handle, because the knob was round which I think would be easier to manipulate from a variety of positions and
the knob is permanent, which is one less part to come loose.
This photo also shows the lack of heat discoloration from the welding process.
1.jpg

Here is a close up of the welding around the rear of the knob, along with the polished camming surface for easer bolt lift.
2.jpg

The weld goes around 3 sides of the handle, very strong.
3.jpg

The only thing I had to do was refinish the bolt, so I began by masking off anything I did not want sandblasted.
Here is the bolt head with the lugs masked off, we don't want any dimensional changes to occur here.
4.jpg

I also masked off the camming surface and filled the bolt with blue shop towels to prevent sand from entering the bolt.
and to keep the camming surface smooth.
5.jpg

After blasting, the bolt is de-greased and heated with a hairdryer to allow better adhesion of the finish.
6.jpg

A close up of the bolt handle welding & the polished camming surface after blasting.
7.jpg

The product I like to use for refinishing is Norrells Moly Resin http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/
it is an excellent & easy product to use.
8.jpg

This is the bolt fresh out of the oven & fully cured.
9.jpg

I refinished the camming surface, because it will help prevent rust, but Moly Resin is a Moly coating, so it will allow smoother bolt lift as well.
10.jpg

In closing I would highly recommend you give Dan a serious look when you are contemplating an oversized bolt knob,
it costs just about as much to have a handle threaded by other companies as it does for Dan to weld on a machined steel handle.

Thanks ROUGH

Re: Bolt work by Dan of www.accu-tig.com

Excellent photo essay. It always helps to be able to see a work in progress as opposed to just reading what is being done, described in words, only.

Was your bolt already timed properly or did you take measurements for Dan to weld the new handle on at a "better" location? Also did Dan supply the new handle?

Looks great.

tag

looks good! i've never thought of polishing up the camming area.. time to break out the dremel:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent photo essay. It always helps to be able to see a work in progress as opposed to just reading what is being done, described in words, only.

Was your bolt already timed properly or did you take measurements for Dan to weld the new handle on at a "better" location? Also did Dan supply the new handle?

Looks great. </div></div>

Dan did all the timing the measurement he needed was the distance from the face of the original handle to the back
of the receiver when the bolt handle is lifted to paralell to the ground.
the measurement of my original handle distance was .027", Dan tightened it up to .010".

Dan supplied the bolt handle, the handle I chose is $45.00
the pricing I paid is as follows:
$45.00 - bolt handel
$40.00 - welding
$10.00 - shipping + insurance

I already had all the stuff to di the refinish.

A few more pictures for you guys.

This is the bolt as it ingages the extraction camming surface, as you can see it has excelent contact.
13.jpg

The bolt in full battery & firing pin down.
11.jpg

This is the bolt in the full retracted position, as you can see the handle has plenty of clearance.
12.jpg

The bolt in the full locked down position, here you can see the .010" gap between the front of the handle
and the rear of the receiver.
15.jpg

I have had several questions answered by Dan and swapped stocks with him. He has been a gentleman by every measure and a wealth of information.

Rough-Looks very nice-Did you possibly ask if he was able to put a bend/sweep on any of the straight handles he offers? TIA barry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rough-Looks very nice-Did you possibly ask if he was able to put a bend/sweep on any of the straight handles he offers? TIA barry </div></div>

No I wasn't interested in a sweapt handle, as I have big hands & I didn't want my index finger knuckle getting smacked.

Looks good. Did the install move the bolt handle foward at all? It looks like it sits a little farther foward in the AICS compared to the stock one I had. I love Norrell's. Heres a knob I made, installed and coated in Norrells Socom Black. In person it is BLACK!!!

knobdone.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. Did the install move the bolt handle foward at all? It looks like it sits a little farther foward in the AICS compared to the stock one I had. I love Norrell's. Heres a knob I made, installed and coated in Norrells Socom Black. In person it is BLACK!!!</div></div>

he only moved the handle .017" forward of the factory position, the reason it looks so far forward is because it is a straight handle, not sweapt back.

That is a good looking knob you made, does it hit or come close to hitting your knuckle from various firing positions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rough-Looks very nice-Did you possibly ask if he was able to put a bend/sweep on any of the straight handles he offers? TIA barry </div></div>
Barry,
Brownells sells handles like the center one one, and Dan can take it from there. (He may even have them available.) It's shown next to a standard Rem bolt for comparison.
DSCF0444_edited.jpg

Gotcha. I wasnt looking at the handle its self so much as the clearence on the AICS cutout. Thanks for the compliment. No,its got a bit more room than the photo shows. I thought I had a better from behind pic but I cant seem to locate it. Rifle is long gone so I cant take another. The step in the knob made it really quick and easy.

Shane