• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Book Advice

gadbmw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Rifle Colorado
Long story short - My son who will be turning 12 in April has been wanting to know more about the military. He is especially interested in three particular groups, Seals, Delta Force, and Army Scouts. Forgive me if I do not describe something correctly(hence why I am asking questions). He is wanting some books to read, I have found threads about "what are you reading" etc but to put atlas shrugs(sp)in front of him wont work. We are working on reading skills so this is more than a interest for him but learning/school work. What I would like to know - do any of you have book suggestions that are mid size books(200ish pages) that a 12 year old with a huge desire to learn about what he sees as his future? We need a book every 2-3 weeks, so I don't mind starting out with some easier reads and progress from there. If I can get him interested he will finish book after book. Currently he reads things he can find on the internet but I check them and sometimes doubt their validity. Anyways any help would be great, just looking for some good books for him. Thanks in advance.

what about autobiographies or biographies ? I dont' know any off the top of my head, but I am sure there have to be some around - I know I read a book on UDT - with is where the Seals came from when I was a kid - was very interesting.

One of my favorite books as a kid was Marine Sniper about Carlos Hathcock. Sure, it's not about a SOF guy but it's very good reading. For SF, I thought Chosen Soldier was a solid book about the process to become a Green Beret. Of course, he can't go wrong reading Lone Survivor.

I'm not sure what your limit would be as far as graphic content goes, but Outlaw Platoon (10th Mountain Div.) By sean

Sorry, fat thumbed my phone... Sean Parnell is one of the best reads I've got my hands on in a while. Damn Few by Rorke Denver was pretty good (SEALs) And lone survivor is near the top of my list. Although these are pretty specific where I'm sure you're looking for more general knowledge books on his desired fields.

The Mack Bolan series is what got me interested in reading 30+ years ago. Able Team also. Still going strong but with decidedly more refined material (most of the time). Don Pendleton's still cranking em out too.

I don't know the length or the difficulty of it because I listened to it, but how about American Gun? Kyle has good stories about some interesting guns throughout American history. Being able to look the guns up online and envisions using them may be interesting to your son. I know it's not SF related or whatever, but its interesting and is about American military and the guns throughout our history.