• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Book - On Killing by Grossman

Re: Book - On Killing by Grossman

I thought it was a really good book. Been several years since I read it but I do remember it giving me an interesting insight into the minds of heroes during some of the world's most decisive conflicts.

I can't say what I took away from it other than an interesting concept about how the human mind deals with conflict other than an appreciation for how great some of the sacrifices people have made weigh upon them.

Another delve into the world of great men by a simpleton such as myself from a comfortable reading chair.

I definitely enjoyed it. I'd like to read the bulletproof mind stuff/vids but it's spendy.

I liked what I read but couldnt finish it. Its interesting but kinda dry.

I just like how as time progresses fewer soldiers actually fired thier weapons in battle. But, yet with new technology comming out the battle field is getting deadlier.

I thought it was a VERY good book and I will read it a second time between school semesters. It is more closely related to a psych study than a "fun, fantasy, or entertainment" purpose book. But if you like to learn, it's a good read.

A lot of interesting info that "may" help one that ever finds himself trying to deal with understanding his own mind after surviving a lethal force encounter.

4/5 stars from me

I've got both Grossman's books, have been to his lectures, and both books are required reading for my police Snipers.

Reading the books years after some things happened made it easier to deal with the feelings, that for a time bothered me, so thanks to the book, no more bother.

I'd advise anyone who thinks they may find themselves in a shooting, ie, you carry a weapon for self defense in any place, form, or manner, to read the books.

I read the book also,very interesting and informative.I was recommended to read it by the concealed carry class instructor.good read!!

I enjoyed his one day talks much better than the book. Our local academy brings him in every other year. He is a gifted speaker. Knowing what you may feel, or have felt is normal does help to reconcile the aftermath of using deadly force.

If you ever get a chance to see him in person, do not miss it. I also recommend John Giduck, the author od Terror at Beslan.

Both are awesome and refer back and forth to one another.

Jack

He spoke to my unit back in 03 right before our second tour, Col Crossman is an amazing speaker, his other book "On Combat" is a even better read. It should be a mandatory read for leaders in the military.

My son-in-law, a cop, went to one of his classes and purchased the book. He gave it to me to read. I really enjoyed it.

I would like to read the one on combat as well.

I had a head doc recommend On Killing when I got back. It is more of a case study than it is anything else. But, its very informative and well worth the read. I agree with Rak, it should be mandatory readying for anyone going downrange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with Rak, it should be mandatory readying for anyone going downrange. </div></div>

Yup, my SOI instructor recommended it to us on our last day in the course. Good book, it has a permanent spot on my book shelf.

Although I am not sure that I wholly buy some of his arguments, it is an excellent book. Very insightful and direct. I did not even find it dry, but that's probably because I enjoy reading history.

Agree that it should be required reading for leaders in the military.

LTC. Grossman if a very interesting speaker. I have one of this books, but loaned it to my son to read and haven't gotten it back yet...
smile.gif

Donnie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...should be mandatory readying for anyone going downrange. </div></div>

Word...

Definitely should be required reading...
I would like to get a copy of his other books, but no one is carrying his stuff (other than On Killing). Someone know where I can get a copy of On Combat?

-Wil

Amazon has <span style="font-style: italic">On Combat</span> in stock, and, IMO, it's a better book than <span style="font-style: italic">On Killing</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazon has <span style="font-style: italic">On Combat</span> in stock, and, IMO, it's a better book than <span style="font-style: italic">On Killing</span>.
</div></div>

Definitely agree, both are good but On Combat is MUCH better.

really good book. very interesting to learn about how large percentages of soldiers either don't fire their weapons or intentionally miss. Just beginning to learn to understand the psychology of killing in combat is really cool.