• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Book: Sniper in Helmand

KevinTM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2005
Mid-Ohio Valley, WV
This book covers a tour in Helmand province, Afghanistan by a member of sniper platoon, 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglican Regiment, in 2007. Its American publication has been delayed by a few months, maybe due to fears that it would be overshadowed by the release of American Sniper. I bought my copy through amazon.co.uk

Synopsis:

This is the story of "James Cartwright" (a pen name), whose battalion sniper platoon mostly parceled its snipers out to support the individual companies of their battalion but at times operated together as a platoon. They mostly provided overwatch and flank security for their assigned unit on patrol and pulled observation post duty from their outpost. They struggled with enemy snipers who had average shooting skills but excellent fieldcraft. There were times when the individual company Cartwright was supporting was more in need of a knee mortar operator or machine gunner than a sniper and he would switch roles as needed. Cartwright eventually left the military but later joined the Military Provost Guard Service to accommodate his transition to being a husband and a father.

No Chapter 3.5:

Cartwright details his entrance into the British Army, and then the book takes a curious break. The end of chapter 3 has Cartwright assigned to the Brigade Surveillance Company for a tour in Iraq and the beginning of chapter 4 starts with his transfer from surveillance to sniping after his return from Iraq. Possibly, someone asked for a chapter to be removed from the book.

Training:

Cartwright's training as a sniper is a snapshot in time taken at the tail end of the old British system. As positions in the battalion sniper platoon came open, soldiers who met the prerequisites would volunteer for a selection course run by senior snipers. After passing selection (Cartwright made it on his second attempt), the soldier was assigned to the sniper platoon and began on-the-job training. The line between PIGs and HOGs in the British system was the sniper badge. To become badged, a soldier had to pass a demanding go/no-go skills qualification test run by senior snipers.

British System Overview (as I imperfectly understand it):

In 2004, British sniper training was reorganized with a Sniper Wing at Brecon as part of the Direct Fire Division (snipers and machine gunners) of the Support Weapons School. [Note: McBride, Pavilchenko, and Allerberger were all trained as machine gunners before they became snipers.] The Sniper Wing originally provided Sniper Instructor and Sniper Commander courses to support the old battalion-centric sniper system, but to provide more uniformity of training across the British Army, in 2006 they began to offer Sniper 1 (marksmanship) and Sniper 2 (fieldcraft) courses. The Sniper Instructor and Sniper Commander courses were combined into the 7-week Sniper Section Commander course. The sniper badge go/no-go system has apparently been replaced by a percentile grade on a skills qualification test, possibly because many units were firing up most of their yearly allocation of match ammunition simply to hold qualifications. Later, a sharpshooter (designated marksman) role would be codified and positions in the infantry created, initially using the hand-me-down L96 bolt rifles but then transitioning to the L129 semi-auto rifle. A sharpshooter training package was created to include long range shooting, firing at targets at an unknown distance, and observation techniques. These “junior sniper” positions are seen as a useful recruiting pool by some snipers and a problem for the sniper platoon system by others, as some commanders may prefer to send their soldiers to less away training by simply filling the sniper platoon with sharpshooters who will OJT as snipers.

www.amazon.com/SNIPER-HELMAND

Re: Book: Sniper in Helmand

KevinTM,

Pretty interesting synopsis. Was there any detail as to why people were so pro/con to the sniper platoon vs. the old BN organization?

I know back in the early-mid 80's we (1st RGR BN) didn't have a sniper MOS, just a skill identifier on your MOS. And, there was no formal organization of snipers other than if you had successfully graduated the course you could be tasked with carrying a 'precision scoped rifle' and expected to effectively use it where directed. My understanding at the time was this was generally Army-wide. The Marines, I understood, had sniper sections/platoons. IMO, it certainly makes a difference in proficiency.

sandwarrior,

I have crappy writing skills is all -- the "old system" that Cartwright describes and the new system where sniper training is in theory provided at the army school level both use the battalion sniper platoon as the basic unit of organization.

Commonwealth forces and Kitchner's New Army units had TO&E for scouts and snipers starting from as early as about December 1914, combining senior officers' experience in the Boer War with the necessity of countering the German snipers who by virtue of Germany's pre-war militarized forestry service were excellent. I think that MAJ Fred Crum put together the official British forces-wide TO&E for British snipers around 1916, and I don't think they ever lost their basic organization with scouts and snipers organized at the battalion level in the way that the US Army has lost and gained snipers over the years.

The reason that they changed from schooling conducted at the battalion level to an army-wide (actually now they have some sort of "tri-service" concept) schooling is that some battalions suffered from NCO and officer neglect of sniper training (or so rumor has it).

Kevin

I should also add that Cartwright doesn't give an overview of the British system, that's just me talking. He just relates what he experienced.

Also, over the decades various British sniping schools have existed at various levels... I use "old sytem" just to describe the one before the newest.

Kevin

One can certainly see over the years, waxing and waning interest/effort to train, snipers. As noted, the relatively newly activated Ranger BN's didn't have any kind of dedicated snipers. It was whoever had the most convincing story for the need of the sniper trained individual as a sniper or line infantryman.

Since 1988 that has changed though. At least it's here to stay. No matter how those who set up the course curriculum at Ft. Benning push and pull in one direction or another. I honestly believe that a huge impetus was put on that by the successes we saw in Grenada. If nothing else, the timing was good.

I think when you have a Branch-wide standard it's going to be an effective endeavor. Leaving it up to BN's means one Cmdr. who doesn't like it or will see no need for it during his command could completely dismantle a program. Probably why it happened so badly here in the U.S.