• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Book - The Killer Elite; What do you guys think?

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Just wondering if anyone has seen or read this book? The Killer Elite by Michael Smith.

513cZaBJ9RL._SL500_.jpg

I'm always a little skeptical of these books before I buy them. When they write about something that's so secret, it's not so secret anymore. So I wonder how much is true and if there's any political bias in it. I hate political bias in a book that's about our military and would rather avoid it if that's what this is about. But if it's good and factual, I'd be interested in reading it.

Re: Book - The Killer Elite; What do you guys think?

I read the reviews on Amazon and it looks great...apparently Smith tenaciously sought out and gained extraordinary off the reservation access to many of the operators who defied official orders to not talk to him and to not even respond to his letters asking if they would talk to him...the reviews -from former operators- were glowing as well...I have not read the book but your post piqued my interest and I ordered it this afternoon from amazon...thanks

That cover doesn't look like a very stable shooting position for a professional operator, and he's missing a sling. I'm like Just Roy, I like the books with pictures.

I have read the book and its a great read. Problem with special top secret operations is that its almost impossible to know if he is telling the truth. His years and everything match up to other known operations near areas he was in so it seems to be true but without having someone there that you trust it still is hard to tell. Worth the read though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read the book and its a great read. Problem with special top secret operations is that its almost impossible to know if he is telling the truth. His years and everything match up to other known operations near areas he was in so it seems to be true but without having someone there that you trust it still is hard to tell. Worth the read though.</div></div>

SO TRUE..

Guys, take this for waht it is worth. I was turned on to this book by a buddy who is a retired one of those guys, did 30 years. He said he would not discuss any parts of the book with me period. And that the guys who were interveiwed broke the oath they took to stay covert.

Matt

So what you are trying to say is that the book is true and your buddy is pissed that someone made money off of there Covert Ops.
Truth is the book is good and now I think it just got better!

It got better to me too; I recently read Dalton Fury's book on the Battle of Tora Bora and I'm satisfied someone is telling us the truth about these military campaigns - what really happened. I recommend his book simply to become savvy citizens, and this one might help us also in this regard.

I know a guy, who knows a guy who served in that unit. I asked some of the same questions when this book came out, The answer I got was that because the Officers that talked are so well known, that it has not had much if any impact on their post retirement job prospects, but the enlisted folks who talked cant get a job as a janitor in Moyock, much less anything good....

I was going to give this a mention in the Classic movie thread here. Don't know about the book, but I didn't like the Kung Fu bit in the original movie with James Caan. The opening sequence displaying a short paragraph into the background of the movie's title builds us up to expect something interesting like a Max von Sydow cold war thriller.

Even though they had some good actors, I felt the Kung Fu took a lot away, if not everything, from what could have been a nice classic movie shedding some light into this topic. Hope they redo the movie, with a serious script and good actors, something hard to come by today.