• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Books for Advanced Marksmanship

EvilWoodchuck

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a few books for someone wanting to learn the formulas for calculating trajectory and just getting into more advanced marksmanship?

I realize that there are programs to do this now, and have one of them for my droid phone, but I'm oldschool and want to know how to do it by hand to further my understanding of the concepts.

Thanks!

Re: Books for Advanced Marksmanship

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kengel2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz, check the group buy section. </div></div>

Will do, thanks.

big +1 on both the Litz & McCoy texts

Agree on the Litz book. It is excellent reading and has helped me understand what is going on when the bullet leaves the bore. The huge list of bullet BC's and the included ballistic software is also very helpful.
-Dan

be interested on some more books that cover all the bases, math, readings etc.

McCoy's MEB is a first rate book. Big recommandation!
Especially the linearized theory is very interesting and enlightening. Chapters 9-12 are the best I ever read about ballistics.

On the litz book. Hoe is the reading? Is it an easy read or something you gotta power through because you want the info? I guess I'm just worried it would read like a textbook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the litz book. Hoe is the reading? Is it an easy read or something you gotta power through because you want the info? I guess I'm just worried it would read like a textbook.</div></div>

I've read both editions of Litz's Applied Ballistics and found them quite useful and well written. I believe that you should find it to be an easy read. The book still does contain plenty of mathematic formulas because they are necessary for the subject matter.

The experimental ballistic info/charts in the back alone make it worth the $ in my opinion (Litz). Comes with a good ballistics calculator CD/program as well. It is somewhat like a text book but thoroughly covers everything that happens after a bullet leaves the barrel and is based off applied science, not conjecture.