• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Books

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
Ok, I'm having surgery on 6-2. I will be in the hospital for 3-4 days. I could pick up a few hunting/shooting magazines, but they seem to be 50% ads, and I can read one in a few hours. I was thinking oF going to book store to pick up a book or two. Any suggestions?

I hope this is the right section.

Re: Books

This is not a recommendation for a particular book. Yet if you are a "reader" and read several books a month I would recommend getting a Kindle from Amazon. They are the absolute best way to get books now a days and it is much easier to travel with then just one book.

Here are some interesting books I have been looking at courtesy of the www.thesurvivalistblog.net:

- Buckshot’s Complete Survival Trapping Guide
- Into The Primitive: Advanced Trapping Techniques

Hope the surgery goes well.

I just finished reading CW2 by Layne Heath , It's about a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. I also like reading Lt. Col. David Hackworth's books. If you like WWII, Gordon Prange's 'At Dawn We Slept' is a great read, told from our side and Japan's side (although is very technical). Anything from Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, and also World War Z, by Max Brooks, for something a little different. Another good read is Airframe by Michael Crichton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read ANYTHING by Vince Flynn (fiction)! </div></div>

!!!!!!

Start with American Assassin by Vince Flynn. Its Fictional but ties in real events and weaves a very believable and gripping story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read ANYTHING by Vince Flynn (fiction)! </div></div>

!!!!!!

Start with American Assassin by Vince Flynn. Its Fictional but ties in real events and weaves a very believable and gripping story. </div></div>

YES. The greatest political thriller ever written (so far, he ain't done
laugh.gif
)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Another good read is Airframe by Michael Crichton </div></div>

This was a really solid read. Also check out some stuff by Robert Ludlum, all good books to pass the time in a hospital

yes , without a doubt , WHITE HUNTERS "the golden age of african safaris" by Brian Herne is one of the best books i have ever read, true stories about professional hunters, in africa, from the beginning 1890ish to 1990ish , all true accounts, and reads like a novel, COULD NOT put it down

it's a must have

second one is TRUE NORTH by George Erickson , he leaves minnesota and flies alone in his super cub float plane , lake hopping around canada for almost a year stretch , great writer, terrific premise, and a real adventure for sure MUST HAVE

third is a HUNTERS ROAD by Jim Fergus, this gentleman takes a year off, and after training his labrador to flush and retrieve birds, travel the US , alone with his dog, to hunt ALL upland game, from Maine to Florida, from Wisconsin to Texas, he does it all and an exceptional writer to boot , another MUST HAVE

Hello all, first post here. I have been reading this forum for years. I joined about a year ago. The wealth of info here is great.
The humour is off the hook.

Before startin to shoot precision rifles back in 2000, I frist
read for about two years. I read about sniping in Viet Nam, Korea
and WW 2. Not to learn to kill, but rifles, calibers and ammo used. I read and schooled myself on reloading also. I have some
very accurate loads at my disposal.

Having said all that. Here are some good books I recommend.

The One Round War, USMC Scout-Snipers in Viet Nam by Peter R. Senich.

The Long Range War, Sniping in Viet Nam also by Senich

The books by Chandler, Death From Afar are also good.

Just a few from my library.

Being a first time poster here, I fully expect some of you guys to (cut me a new one), so let it begin.

Michael

If you're a fan of Black Hawk Down, I HIGHLY recommend In The Company Of Heroes by Michael J. Durant.

He was a Warrant Officer pilot in Somalia. His Blackhawk was shot down by an RPG in 1993 and he was made a prisoner of Mohamed Aidid.

The book chronicles and details his whole experience as a POW. It gives you a whole new perspective on what it's really like for our troops. It almost humanizes them. Hollywood and other media outlets has made us believe that our military just waltzes on in, kicks ass, cleans house and leaves without breaking a sweat. This book is a perfect reminder of what these men and women sacrifice for our freedom on a daily basis. It really lets you in on the darker side of war that very few media outlets are willing/able to report on.

Overall, it's an incredible read. Very humbling and I'm glad I read it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read ANYTHING by Vince Flynn (fiction)! </div></div>

!!!!!!

Start with American Assassin by Vince Flynn. Its Fictional but ties in real events and weaves a very believable and gripping story. </div></div>

YES. The greatest political thriller ever written (so far, he ain't done
laugh.gif
)! </div></div>

This is probably my favorite of the Mitch Rapp series. Second favorite is probably Consent to Kill, and a really close third is Protect and Defend.

Memorial Day
Executive Power
Pursuit of Honor
Act of Treason
Extreme Measures

Kick ass books, some people dislike fiction, but I tend to prefer to turn off reality.

David Drake has a few nice series you might like. E.g. "Hammer's Slammers", "The General" (well, that one is actually by S. M. Stirling)...

Also, devices like iPhone, iPod Touch (and even Blackberry) have ebook reader software freely available - not as convenient to read as a real book or even Kindle, but carrying such a device is much easier.