• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boots, cowboy ones to be more specific.

Smcarroll

gun nut
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Montana/Wyoming
I am looking at getting a new pair of cowboy boots and I was wondering what you all were wearing. I have a size 14 extra wide so corporate shitshacks like boot barn don't even carry my size. I have been wearing a pair of square toed Dan post boots but I about have em done in. I wouldn't mind even going semi custom. Any recommendations?

I'm not sure what your preferences are but Olathe builds a real no BS boot. These are a horseman's boot not a trucker's, line dancer's or bar-poser boot. You can get them with stacked heels with a spur shelf or flat ropers. U toes, round toes, square toes and there are probably other choices. Find a dealer and you can do a semi-custom order. I don't know whether they go to 14 but they tend to run about a half size large. If you wear spurs have them built with a saddle so you don't wear out the foot faster than the sole. http://www.olatheboots.com/olathe/

"If the work can't be done from the back of a horse than it doesn't need to be done."

Last edited:
I bought a set of Lucchese boots some 20 years ago. They are the most comfortable boots out of the box I ever wore.

I dont know if they are the same company as a lot has changed in twenty years. The ones I have were bought for a wedding/suit gig and most of what They were selling was more for show not for work. Still nice boots.

I am looking at getting a new pair of cowboy boots and I was wondering what you all were wearing. I have a size 14 extra wide so corporate shitshacks like boot barn don't even carry my size. I have been wearing a pair of square toed Dan post boots but I about have em done in. I wouldn't mind even going semi custom. Any recommendations?

14 X wide? Those arent feet those are mini aircraft carriers. LOL

I bought a set of Lucchese boots some 20 years ago. They are the most comfortable boots out of the box I ever wore.

I dont know if they are the same company as a lot has changed in twenty years. The ones I have were bought for a wedding/suit gig and most of what They were selling was more for show not for work. Still nice boots.

I wear a 14 D and Lucchese sure have been a good boot for me as well. Red Wing Pecos is a good all around work boot and Justin is hard to beat also. I'm going to try a pair of the Olathe boots Quarter Horse recommends though, looks like a nice boot. Wearing 14+m size anything means taking what you can get, not so much what you like!

Cheers,

George

I wear a 14 D and Lucchese sure have been a good boot for me as well. Red Wing Pecos is a good all around work boot and Justin is hard to beat also. I'm going to try a pair of the Olathe boots Quarter Horse recommends though, looks like a nice boot. Wearing 14+m size anything means taking what you can get, not so much what you like!

Cheers,

George

I hope you do better with Justin than I did recently trying to get boots for my daughter. When the arrived "Made in China" rubber soles, crap. Granted they are kids boots but just because they are kids doesn't mean they have to wear crap.

My made in USA 15 or so year old ropers are just fine save needing some new leather on the sole.

I am stunned to see how many cowboy boots wear a "Made in China" stamp. If you are looking at custom boots or even the semi custom where you have to order them not a big deal, because they will be built here or Mexico. There are two versions of Justin, USA ones and Chinese and the price difference is close. They will put them on the shelves close together with a flag next to them, very carefull salesmen they are! Every Tractor Supply and Boot Barn sells mostly Chinese made crap. I am surprised, even Ariats used to be made in Mexico, now Made in China.

I am stunned to see how many cowboy boots wear a "Made in China" stamp. If you are looking at custom boots or even the semi custom where you have to order them not a big deal, because they will be built here or Mexico. There are two versions of Justin, USA ones and Chinese and the price difference is close. They will put them on the shelves close together with a flag next to them, very carefull salesmen they are! Every Tractor Supply and Boot Barn sells mostly Chinese made crap. I am surprised, even Ariats used to be made in Mexico, now Made in China.

I don't even go into those corporate shit sheds. I go to small stores owned by human beings. I do buy carhartts, Carolina boots, etcetera. For all my leatherwork. I know a feller up in Montana that has been making my leathergoods, I think I am gonna go have him make me some boots.

Funny though huh? You are up in Montana and I am in Arizona and can speak for New Mexico because I have spent some time there. The "tractor supply" Cal Ranch and Boot Barn are advertised as all American. I will give Cal Ranch an Ok because at least they try. But when one can't even find a freaking bandana not from China in the local feed and tack store - we are putting ourselves out of work. I was in the trap section and at least Cal Ranch had animal traps, but they were marked "Made in Korea." I mean even our our industry such as trapping has been taken away.

The biggest joke on all this and I can see the Reservation from my backyard is the poorest of the Native Americans are ripped off by these products. For those of you that don't know, most Native Americans where I live are involved in cattle or sheep industry. They are more "cowboy" than what has become of cowboys and working ponies at least compared to $200 dollar jeans and a $100,000 truck, hauling a $100,000 horse.

Good luck on your boots. I hope to get up your way because I never been up there this year and look around.

Last edited:
Dress boots -- Lucchese is hard to beat w/o breaking the bank.
Working/riding boots -- I prefer a lace-up, but if going with a traditional pull-on, Boulet boots get the nod
Custom boots -- pick a good bootmaker close to where you live for sizing/fit...

I was going to say Dehner, but then I remembered that I wear very different footwear when I ride than yall western folks.

Lucchese makes great dress boots and have a couple of pairs and wear them daily. The best boots I own are J.B. Hill boots custom made in El Paso, TX. True custom boots and made in any style and leather you wish. For a set of bombproof boots pretty hard to beat White's Packer boots.

Sounds like you have an answer and one of these days I will get some custom boots.

We dont ride in anything that doesn't have leather soles(but we dont get the winters you have). If you can find Rod Patricks they come in a lot of sizes/widths and are well made.

I would be interested in what options you have and cost from the guy near you.

I don't even go into those corporate shit sheds. I go to small stores owned by human beings. I do buy carhartts, Carolina boots, etcetera. For all my leatherwork. I know a feller up in Montana that has been making my leathergoods, I think I am gonna go have him make me some boots.

Pester, near me is a relative term. He is a good 350 mile drive, but that's just a short jaunt out here. I wont buy slick soled boots, I end up dismounted a lot and when the bentonite gets slick you end up skiing. Next time I end up in his neck of the woods I am having him make me a pair of square toed boots made from some bison hide I have. I will let you know.

Been wearing boots most of my life, have had Olathe's and Lucchese's and every brand off the shelf. For off the shelf, my Twisted X and Ariat's are great but my custom boots too are from J.B. Hill in El Paso. They're not cheap but if you wear boots all the time, buy them. I just ordered another pair for my wife and of course, myself.

... but my custom boots too are from J.B. Hill in El Paso. They're not cheap but if you wear boots all the time, buy them. I just ordered another pair for my wife and of course, myself.

I can honestly say the only time in my life that I even remotely contemplated buying a pair of $1500 boots was when I was walking around in a pair of JB Hills at a boot shop. Way out of my league at the time, but I REALLY didn't want to take them off. Beautiful boots that fit like nothing I'd ever had on my feet before.

Boulet from Canada. Well made and good stuff. 6+ yrs in and look pretty good. When mine wear out (on second set of vibram soles) i will have to custom otder as they dont make my size anymore.
Couple buddies with big wide feet
Really like their customs from Drews Boots out of OR.

I've been a sales rep in the western industry for 8 years and worked 4 years before that at a western store in west texas. I wear sized 14-16 boots depending on the manufacture. Trends come and go so depending on your preference I can give you some recommendations. I have spent a Surgeon rifles worth on custom boots and don't feel they are any better or more comfortable than the boots I wear on a daily basis. Most likely you will have shard time finding boots off the shelf due to the size and most stores not stocking more than a few 13's and 14's. It's a numbers game more they sell the more money they make and 14 is not the average size. My two personal favorites for boots are rod Patrick bootmakers and rios of Mercedes, both based in Texas and made here or in Mexico. Anderson bean is a close second. Lucchese classis are ok but my opinion not worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smcarroll,

This morning a boot crossed my mind that is not exactly what you asked about but still warrants looking into. Hoffman and Schnees both make a winter or wet weather pac boot in a cowboy configuration. I've got two pairs of Hoffmans that I've worn for years hunting and I use them exclusively including in warm weather. They are not the cowboy foot but I can get them in a large roper stirrup. The pointed cowboy foot would make it a lot easier to find your stirrups. They keep your feet warmer and drier than anything else I've found. Just another thought.

I'm a big fan of Boulet boots. They are one of the few brands that makes a high-quality handmade boot with rubber (Vibram) sole. I've had leather sole boots but I just wear them out way too fast wearing them on a day to day basis. My dress boots are the pointy "J" toe Boulet with leather sole.

I've had two pairs of square toe Boulets in "rotation" for about 6 years now (a brown pair and a black pair), and they're now both about 1/2 way done with their first resole. Lucky for me I have an awesome cobbler/boot shop local to me that will resole boots and give them a fresh heel pad for $50.

Anyway, boots I've owned in the past just haven't held up terrible well. This includes Justin, Nocona, and Tony Llama. The Boulet I own now are "Bull Hide", and the leather just holds up great!

No doubt about it, when I'm ready for a fresh set of boots - they'll be Boulet.

I'm not sure what your preferences are but Olathe builds a real no BS boot. These are a horseman's boot not a trucker's, line dancer's or bar-poser boot. You can get them with stacked heels with a spur shelf or flat ropers. U toes, round toes, square toes and there are probably other choices. Find a dealer and you can do a semi-custom order. I don't know whether they go to 14 but they tend to run about a half size large. If you wear spurs have them built with a saddle so you don't wear out the foot faster than the sole. Olathe Boot Company

"If the work can't be done from the back of a horse than it doesn't need to be done."

just ordered a pair for myself. for the $$$ best boot I have seen. CC59 :: Olathe Boot Company

Shamrock,

Nice looking boots. I have one pair with a roper heel and it's good to see they still retain the spur shelf. When I clicked on the link it said they were in made in Leon, Mexico. This is not necessarily bad as the Mexican's were making great gear before we Nortes knew what constituted great gear. The only reason I mention it is that all four pair I have were made in Olathe before the move to Mercedes, Texas. The foot on all of my boots, except the ropers, are made of about 5oz. leather which with a saddle vamp makes them pretty bullet proof. Please PM me and let me know what you think of yours.

Now that would be a great pari of boots if you could get them made out of a Bison hide you have.
We go with the all leather because they come out of the stirrup a little better and while I would like to say I've never come out of the saddle that would not be true. I dont mind the occasional crow hop or even if they rear up in protest a bit but I darn sure hate it when the duck a shoulder, take off running and then slam to a stop after they've gotten their head down. I can tell you what the dirt tastes like in too many places. Almost took another sample the other day with a 4yr old...

If I am not on a horse its usually those slip on shoes or a pair of crepe soles

Looking forward to pics when you get them built.

Sounds like you have an answer and one of these days I will get some custom boots.

We dont ride in anything that doesn't have leather soles(but we dont get the winters you have). If you can find Rod Patricks they come in a lot of sizes/widths and are well made.

I would be interested in what options you have and cost from the guy near you.