• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I am aspiring to compete in the extreme tough man division of mammoth next year and wondering about what boots everyone used in the comp last year? I've camped and hiked A LOT in my life in extreme colds but never hiked as far and at such a quick pase that the challenge will require me to, so I would imagine that the lightest most comfortable boots would be extremely beneficial. I've been looking at belleville and danners boots, but honestly can't decide on how thick/thin of insulation if any I would need for the comp. any knowledge and first hand experience would be appreciated. I hope this is in the correct section.

Andrew

Have you thought about the salomon pro comp boots? I have a set and they are awesome, not super light like boots, but gore tex, light, durable etc.

Look at Salomon or Asolo. Make sure they fit your feet well, blisters F&*king suck. IF you have an REI around, they can help you find a boot that will fit you and tailored toward what you are wanting to do.

Good luck

AS

I don't have any first-hand "competition" experience, but I positively SWEAR by Lowas. I've worn them for years in Afgh with zero break-in period, blisters, etc. After 4yrs the goretex was of course shot so out of curiosity I tried some new Danner GTX and they fucking SUCK in comparison and have the typical Danner break-in period where you can count on your feet bleeding while you "get used to them".

I've used Vasque and Asolo trekkers in the past but never their hikers. If the trekkers are any indication, they're also worth checking out, but as someone said: find a good outfitter and try as many as possible. I spent a week hitting different places trying boots for my first year overseas and I couldn't find anything I liked better than the Lowas.

I agree with Bogey, stay away from Danner GTX. China made pieces of shit. It took me three pairs to figure out to never buy them again.

Lowa GTX are great boots and very light as well, and would be my personal choice. My last pair lasted 15 months and aside from moderate heel wear, they could have kept going for a while too. Asolo boots are built like a tank and can weigh like one too with some of the models. Great for training, but I would be reluctant to wear them in a timed competition. I have no experience with Solomon but might give them a try for the coming summer.

If I wasn't expecting actual snow/ice work, I wouldn't bother with insulation, only Gore-Tex and good socks with spare set. You're going to be moving too much to need insulation, or want it either. You don't want to sweat too much in them while rucking or the blisters and trenchfoot will rear its ugly head. Like AlabamaShooter said though, the fit is key.

Yep, the Danner's were money in the toilet. I got them because I needed the goretex for all the snow/slush on camp and the Lowas are so boringly reliable I decided to try something new. BIG mistake, as soon as the wet season is over, they're getting tossed and I'm putting my 4yr old Lowas back on and will never replace them (as the boots I RELY ON) with anything other than a new pair of Lowas.

Asolo FSN 95 if you can find them. They are discontinuing them, so i'm going to have to find something new when the stockpile in my closet runs out.

+ 1 on the Lowa's. That's all I will buy. I get mine at REI. Once a year they offer 20% off and I usually buy a pair just to have a spare pair on hand.

I'm a big fan of the Lowa boot as well. I have a pair of Renegade GTX as well as the Zepher NON GTX. I prefer the Zepher. They are very light and very comfortable and have been plenty durable for me through a lot of rucking.

I don't have any first-hand "competition" experience, but I positively SWEAR by Lowas. I've worn them for years in Afgh with zero break-in period, blisters, etc. After 4yrs the goretex was of course shot so out of curiosity I tried some new Danner GTX and they fucking SUCK in comparison and have the typical Danner break-in period where you can count on your feet bleeding while you "get used to them".

I've used Vasque and Asolo trekkers in the past but never their hikers. If the trekkers are any indication, they're also worth checking out, but as someone said: find a good outfitter and try as many as possible. I spent a week hitting different places trying boots for my first year overseas and I couldn't find anything I liked better than the Lowas.

That's for the advice! So I wear an 11 in every other boot I've ever owned, would I still need to go try some on when the link that another posted they had the asolo hikers at $103 with free shipping?

I don't have my Asolos with me to check what size they were, I usually wear a 10.5D, my Vasques are true to size, my Lowa GTX were I believe size 11 (the size tag has long since deteriorated), my Danners are 10.5 and a little big, even with Spenco insoles.

I'd of course recommend trying on whatever you're going to buy WITH whatever socks you're going to wear. I even bring my own Spenco insoles and good socks with me when I try on new boots so I can gauge fit. A "trick" I learned was to size the boots for the regular included insoles (which more and more are thin worthless pieces of shit, even in expensive boots) using the thickest wool socks I wear. Then I try them out with aftermarket insoles (I've used Spenco for over 20yrs, but there are several good ones out now) with the lighter socks I wear. I find the size that allows me to be comfortable using both of those configurations. That way for the majority of the year when I'm wearing thinner socks with good insoles the boots fit right. In the winter when I wear thicker socks, I can switch out the insoles to the thin factory ones and still have a good fit. As with everything, YMMV.

Lowa Zephyr GTX......best boots I've owned and I've owned many. If you don't need the gortex, the Lowa Zephyr Desert is even lighter and better. Everyone's foot shape is different. Try them all on...

I don't have my Asolos with me to check what size they were, I usually wear a 10.5D, my Vasques are true to size, my Lowa GTX were I believe size 11 (the size tag has long since deteriorated), my Danners are 10.5 and a little big, even with Spenco insoles.

I'd of course recommend trying on whatever you're going to buy WITH whatever socks you're going to wear. I even bring my own Spenco insoles and good socks with me when I try on new boots so I can gauge fit. A "trick" I learned was to size the boots for the regular included insoles (which more and more are thin worthless pieces of shit, even in expensive boots) using the thickest wool socks I wear. Then I try them out with aftermarket insoles (I've used Spenco for over 20yrs, but there are several good ones out now) with the lighter socks I wear. I find the size that allows me to be comfortable using both of those configurations. That way for the majority of the year when I'm wearing thinner socks with good insoles the boots fit right. In the winter when I wear thicker socks, I can switch out the insoles to the thin factory ones and still have a good fit. As with everything, YMMV.

So you are saying that lowas run .5 size small? Or you usually wear 11s?

So you are saying that lowas run .5 size small? Or you usually wear 11s?

I currently wear a size 10.5 in most shoes/boots but I'm pretty sure that 4yrs ago I was wearing a size 10 and ended up in a size 11 Lowa Zephyr GTX. In my particular case, I would say the Lowas ran a half-size to a full size small. I've heard people speculate that some GTX boots tend to run a little smaller, but I don't have enough personal information to confirm that.

There certainly appear to be enough of us here that are Lowa fans, that you should be able to get a consensus on whether the other guys also had to adjust size up or down in the Lowa.

For reference, mine are the mids. I'm not sure they were even making the high model back then. I walked well over 1000km my first year in my Lowas over some of the most god-awful terrain anywhere (grape-rows anyone?) and never once rolled an ankle or wished for any extra support from a high boot and was grateful for the reduced weight/heat. They also provided plenty of support for medium to heavy loads for extended distances.

As we said, everyone's foot is different, so only you can determine what's going to work for you, but I wouldn't buy "what you can find locally" until you've found a place that has some Lowas. They may not be for you, but they're worth the effort to try a pair.

I currently wear a size 10.5 in most shoes/boots but I'm pretty sure that 4yrs ago I was wearing a size 10 and ended up in a size 11 Lowa Zephyr GTX. In my particular case, I would say the Lowas ran a half-size to a full size small. I've heard people speculate that some GTX boots tend to run a little smaller, but I don't have enough personal information to confirm that.

There certainly appear to be enough of us here that are Lowa fans, that you should be able to get a consensus on whether the other guys also had to adjust size up or down in the Lowa.

For reference, mine are the mids. I'm not sure they were even making the high model back then. I walked well over 1000km my first year in my Lowas over some of the most god-awful terrain anywhere (grape-rows anyone?) and never once rolled an ankle or wished for any extra support from a high boot and was grateful for the reduced weight/heat. They also provided plenty of support for medium to heavy loads for extended distances.

As we said, everyone's foot is different, so only you can determine what's going to work for you, but I wouldn't buy "what you can find locally" until you've found a place that has some Lowas. They may not be for you, but they're worth the effort to try a pair.

See that is my problem, my local supply is crap. Along with every "high quality" brand is ridiculously priced. I will definitely try out some lowas before making my final decision.

See that is my problem, my local supply is crap. Along with every "high quality" brand is ridiculously priced. I will definitely try out some lowas before making my final decision.

I totally understand not being able to find a quality assortment locally. One option you can try is to order off of Amazon. In most cases you can get what you want to try with the "free return" option. If you have the time, you can try a number of different boots one at a time and return them. OR if you have the "budget" you can order several all at once, pick the one you're keeping and send all the rest back at no charge. You'll have some money tied up for that week or 2 while they're in transit, but the Amazon process is pretty streamlined.

I'm not sure of their return policies, but REI is another option for that approach.

The other way to go would be a road trip. Being in Huntsville, I'm wondering if maybe Nashville would be the closest place with a couple of different outfitters?

I totally understand not being able to find a quality assortment locally. One option you can try is to order off of Amazon. In most cases you can get what you want to try with the "free return" option. If you have the time, you can try a number of different boots one at a time and return them. OR if you have the "budget" you can order several all at once, pick the one you're keeping and send all the rest back at no charge. You'll have some money tied up for that week or 2 while they're in transit, but the Amazon process is pretty streamlined.

I'm not sure of their return policies, but REI is another option for that approach.

The other way to go would be a road trip. Being in Huntsville, I'm wondering if maybe Nashville would be the closest place with a couple of different outfitters?

I haven't shipped boots in Nashville, but that would be my thoughts aswell.

Nashville was just a guess, some online searches may find a better option to check out.

I go with Bogeybrown above...Lowa boots I have work for 30 years and multiple mountain hikes True to size fit and instant breakin!

The problem with planning for Mammoth is that the temp and conditions that time of year could range from sunny and 70 to the single digits. Various types of parcipitation could be encountered as well. The match has been held for four years (the Winter version) and all of the above have been encountered.

Lowa Zepher's are a solid bet. I've got a pair of GTX and non-GTX and wear them year round, alternating between types depending on temp. This includes all four Mammoth matches. Mine pairs have been true to size. It's pretty safe to order boots on line. Any reputable on line dealer will have a no questions asked return policy as long as the boots haven't been worn outside and are unsalable.

Be sure to get out and hike/jog around in them prior to going to Mammoth or you'll be miserable after the first day. You'll probably be miserable anyway in the TM division (unless you're Group etc and do it for a living) but it would be advisable to take sore feet due to bad boots out of the equation:)

Lots of Lowa love for good reason. Other boots that get it done for me are La Sportiva, Scarpa, and Vasque. I have a difficult to fit foot and these have been good. I used to alwayshave cold feet and have tried most of the better brands of insulated boots. This year hunting in the mtns in single digits to around freezing I used a pair of leather goretex boots and good socks. Had cool feet but never froze like usual. Also feet werent sweaty when it warmed up like in insulated boots, to then get cold as the temps dropped again. Have a good time competing!

The lowas seem to be a good general consensus of a well rounded boot. Would a pair of zephyrs last me through 20-30 outings and still be very well serviceable by next janurary? And no this isn't my livelihood by any means but I love hiking/hunting/camping and "ruck" a lot. My pack generally weighs 30 or so pounds when camping. What is the average weight of the pack you saw at the comp [MENTION=9702]DT1[/MENTION] ?

You might want to look at zappos dot com. They have a pretty good selection, free shipping and return shipping. I've had no issues at all with returns, of course unworn except in the house to test fit.

Asolo FSN 95 if you can find them. They are discontinuing them, so i'm going to have to find something new when the stockpile in my closet runs out.

Fugitives after you bury your last pair of FSN95s, at least that's what I'm planning after my last pair gives up the ghost.

Zappos or Amazon are both good online retailers, as is Sierra Trading Post for boots. They all offer easy returns if they don't fit you, but they will need to be pretty much "as new" with no scuffs on the sole at all. Test them on the carpet...

Lowa and Asolo boots have run true to size for me, 13EE. Just hard to find the wide sizing in some models.

Zappos or Amazon are both good online retailers, as is Sierra Trading Post for boots. They all offer easy returns if they don't fit you, but they will need to be pretty much "as new" with no scuffs on the sole at all. Test them on the carpet...

Lowa and Asolo boots have run true to size for me, 13EE. Just hard to find the wide sizing in some models.

Yes, luckily I don't have a wide foot I wear a regular 11 sized boot. I feel bad for people with very wide feel lol.

The lowas seem to be a good general consensus of a well rounded boot. Would a pair of zephyrs last me through 20-30 outings and still be very well serviceable by next janurary? And no this isn't my livelihood by any means but I love hiking/hunting/camping and "ruck" a lot. My pack generally weighs 30 or so pounds when camping. What is the average weight of the pack you saw at the comp [MENTION=9702]DT1[/MENTION] ?

Yes, my non-GTX boots have lasted for 3years many, many outings. Very durable. I've had my GTX Zehpyr's (probably a better bet for Mammoth) for 1.5years, still rockin' strong. They're a good investment.

I bought both pairs from Zappo's. You might not get the best deal from Zappos on price, but they're great to deal with re exchanges and overall service. As mentioned, Amazon is a good, reputable source also. That's worth a bunch in my book.

Yes, the Zephers should not have any problem with that. I wore mine for dozens of rucks with anywhere from 35lbs up to about 65lbs of weight and also wore them in last years Sniper Adventure Race. No problems whatsoever with the boots so far.

I used Salomon's Mid XA Pro3D GTX Ultra the last two Mammoth matches. I am very particular about my shoes/boots. I hate clunky heavy boots, and the Salomons worked very well.

Last edited: