• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Boots for the 'Stan...

BW

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2004
SE Alaska
I know I don't post much, but thought I'd ask the group here for some experienced opinions.

It's starting to warm up again in wonderful Afghanistan, and as it goes, I'm ready for a new pair of boots. I've worn the usual Original Swat tan boots, 5.11 TacLites (6"versions), and maybe some Oakleys in the past. (This is summer number 5, it gets blurry after awhile. :) )

I'm not humping up and down the mountains like our fine troops. I work on the gravel and concrete while on the FOB fixing our company helicopters, and spend hours everyday outside the FOB flying in the same.

So while I don't need a lot of support, I like a 6"(ish) tall boot. Obviously one that is cool in the summer, breathes well, and not necessarily waterproof. Would be nice if they could shed JP5 and various oils. ;)

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on the various brands and styles. Even the ones that didn't work so well.

Thanks.

Haven't owned them myself, but Oakley has the LF Assault Boots with Trenchcoat that is advertized to resist oils and whatnot. Sign up at Oakley's mil/gov discount website usstandardissue.com for a hefty discount on them. They ship to APO as well.

I'm working on summer #8, and yes, I did just count that on my fingers so I know how blurry it gets too!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Redmanss.

I'll check the usstandardissue.com site. I'm already a member, so it should be easy (if I can remember the password.)

I have spent some time there, been regulated to duty issued boots. I have worn oakley, danner, rocky, bates, belleville etc.
If you are trying to fing something that resists jp8, good luck. I would suggest if you are not stuck on duty style, a set of rocky , carhartt, or similar with the plastic toe guard. Or go buy a set of standard boots and plastic dip them ( soles, and lower foot area)
I would tell you that if stuck to boots readily available in the PX over there, the rocky sv2 are comfortable, and hold up better than most others. The danner tfx would be 2nd, but oth stain quickly.
Good luck
On a side note what /who do you wrench for, I ran a pretty large LZ at Wilson/ Pasab awhile back

I don't know if Redmanss was talking about the Oakley SFB but my stopped sheading ANYTHING after about week 8 (I'm not too up on my boot names but I think he was referring to something different from Oakley). I never coated them in anything and just wore them as my hot weather/need very little support boot. My suggestion is buy two pairs, one for Summer months and one for Winter months... If you are spending that kinda quality on your feet with heat/cold/sweat/showerbabies you owe it to them! I still wear my SFB as they feel like an old running shoe now. Worth the $$$.

Stay safe,

BGE

mlh29,

Thanks for the info on protecting boots from JP8 (I know I said JP5 above.) For this summer, I'm more concerned with the heat than the fuel for now. I will check out our PX, but it's fairly small. I haven't seen them stock boots for quite some time. I'm leaning towards the 5.11 Taclites again. The pair I have hasn't lasted a year, but they were fairly comfortable for the first few months.

I've been wrenching on the S61 helicopters over here. First for Presidential Air/Xe, which then became AAR Aviation. That change in ownership was not good for the company overall, and I switched to a smaller company providing the same service out of Jbad. Lots of time up the Kunar Valley. Much better gig.

My GoogleFu is weak, and I couldn't locate Wilson/Pasab. Saw a reference that it was NW of KAF. If that's true, the closest I've been beside KAF, would be Tarin Kowt for a couple weeks.

Spent a lot of time in the Herat/Camp Stone area. From there we'd fly north a bit past FOB Todd/Bala Murghab and all the way south to Farah, then east to FOB Delaram, KAF, RamRod, etc. Fairly long distances, but that's what the customer wanted.

Oh, a month at Shank, back before they had a fixed wing runway, early 2010.

Rocky C4Ts are great light boots, not really oil resistant but it's Afghanistan, they're going to get messed up anyway...

I was at Shank when I was on my way back, for the summer months, it's hard to beat the Nike Special Field Boot. I wore them during the summer months when I was there. Actually I wore 2 pairs as they wore out really quickly in those mountains, but as you said you won't be walking up and down them. So for your use they are really good, lightweight, cool in the summer.

I also wore them for garrison while stationed at Ft. Bliss, good for light duty.

There's a few threads on this, but I never pass up the opportunity to save a fellow contractor (as long as you promise to never say "the 'Stan" again):

LOWA

Period, end of search.

+1 for the Lowa Zephyrs. I'm on my 2nd pair and they are great boots for AFG if you're not scaling mountains or carrying a heavy ruck. They dry out fast if you take an accidental dip in one of the irrigation canals. They last longer than any other boot I've owned during a deployment. If you can get away with it, get the short version not the boot cut (Much more comfortable).

I will second the comment about the Lowa's the 6" zephyrs in particular . I did hike all through the mountains of Afghanistan and they were the best summer boots I have worn. They held up better than expected and were never too hot. Just don't get the gtx models for the summer. If you need a good winter boot I have a recommendation as well.

Lowa or Danner make a good choice but not so much for JP5. For that, you may just want to acquire a pair of good old Navy flight deck boots.

I will second the comment about the Lowa's the 6" zephyrs in particular . I did hike all through the mountains of Afghanistan and they were the best summer boots I have worn. They held up better than expected and were never too hot. Just don't get the gtx models for the summer. If you need a good winter boot I have a recommendation as well.

I've heard people complain about the GTX models in the summer, but they were my year-round boots in Panjwai with no issues. I guess when every other part of you is submerged in the SUCK every single day, the fact that your boots may be a little warmer than "normal" doesn't even register. What DID register was that I did well over a thousand clicks through the grape rows and never rolled an ankle (with the 6") nor ever had a blister. TWICE in a year I had to put a piece of duct tape on one of my toes where I was getting a "hot spot", but compared to every other brand of boot I've ever worn, nothing has even come close to LOWA.
I got a pair of Danner GTX this winter because the Goretex had LONG given up in my LOWAS (they're 4yrs old) and I was tired of wet feet in the snow. I hated the Danners as much this time as I did 20yrs ago when I last tried them. As soon as the wet season is over, my crusty old LOWAS are going back on and I'm not even going to waste the postage to send the Danners home. I'll give them to an Afghan as a final fuck you to this place, and wish him all the blisters that Danners are capable of.

I will add that I'm not sure how the soles will hold up to prolonged exposure fuel, one of my jobs was recovering vehicles and aircraft that were destroyed, so my boots were exposed to about every fluid in a vehicle and aircraft and it didn't seem to do them any harm.

There's a few threads on this, but I never pass up the opportunity to save a fellow contractor (as long as you promise to never say "the 'Stan" again):

LOWA

Period, end of search.

Best hot weather boots I have ever found. No brake in, comfortable right out of the box. If there are any better, please tell me.

Best desert boot for breathing support and anti slip is Altama.

I have feet problems and these are by far the most comfortable I have owned.

BW,

Nike just added a new field version to their SFB line, I bought some as I was due and man are they better! Thick sole basically the same look. I almost melted my reg SFB's on a fast rope and these replaced with no issue. They are called the Nike Field SFB. hope this helps.

Danner Nobo Mids. on my second pair and love them. They've been around the world a couple times and hold up extremely well.

Thanks All!

I'm checking out all your suggestions now. Those Lowa's are very nice!

I've heard people complain about the GTX models in the summer, but they were my year-round boots in Panjwai with no issues. I guess when every other part of you is submerged in the SUCK every single day, the fact that your boots may be a little warmer than "normal" doesn't even register. What DID register was that I did well over a thousand clicks through the grape rows and never rolled an ankle (with the 6") nor ever had a blister. TWICE in a year I had to put a piece of duct tape on one of my toes where I was getting a "hot spot", but compared to every other brand of boot I've ever worn, nothing has even come close to LOWA.
I got a pair of Danner GTX this winter because the Goretex had LONG given up in my LOWAS (they're 4yrs old) and I was tired of wet feet in the snow. I hated the Danners as much this time as I did 20yrs ago when I last tried them. As soon as the wet season is over, my crusty old LOWAS are going back on and I'm not even going to waste the postage to send the Danners home. I'll give them to an Afghan as a final fuck you to this place, and wish him all the blisters that Danners are capable of.

Now that was educational and funny all rolled into one post, be safe my friend

I just swapped from the Oakley Hot Weather Assault Boots to the Oakley LSA Terrain boots. Got them off Oakley SI. I am really liking them. Super light and breathable. FYI I am over here as well. Be safe

The Lowa's are an excellent choice! Otherwise, try out some Asolo's. I have a pair (believe GTX?) That I wear day in and day out, hiking, wrenching on the truck, etc. For me, best boots I've ever had! Hope you find the best for you, bud!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk