• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Borden Action ?

ronbuck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Tyler, TX
I am planning on having a rifle put together, and considering using a Borden Alpine action in a 308 Winchester.

Everything I have read about these actions sound great.

Does any one know why this would be a bad Idea, or know of a better action ?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Re: Borden Action ?

I have 2 of them, my buddy has 3 i think, another guy in the club has 1 ... it is one of the best out there. Get chromoly bolt / chromoly action ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 of them, my buddy has 3 i think, another guy in the club has 1 ... it is one of the best out there. Get chromoly bolt / chromoly action ... </div></div>

I've seen these ^^^ rifles shoot the lights out...

Nice actions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 of them, my buddy has 3 i think, another guy in the club has 1 ... it is one of the best out there. Get chromoly bolt / chromoly action ... </div></div>

I'm a lefty and going to assemble the parts and pieces for my first custom over the rest of this year. Down to Borden & Stiller for the action.

4thSeal, why do you recommend the chromoly over the stainless?

There are a lot of great receivers out there. Having said that, you will never be sorry that you selected a Borden action over someone else's. I own 6 Borden rifles and have an Alpine action tucked away for my next build.

I have a few tucked away myself. You won't go wrong. I think a few of the other NorCal members run them as well. Both of the ones I have built up shoot excellent. Surgeon and Badgers are not stainless for some reason. Those are the other actions I run. But GAP's Templar action is stainless. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Ask yourself what is my plan for this rifle. Borden rifles are high precision. which really means close tolerances. they are used a lot for bench rest shooting. dirt, and dust will cause performance problems in the field. i shoot an old push feed M70 Winchester for my course rifle. and shoot that out to 1000. I do like custom actions and I'm sure everyone here likes rem 700s. but how many do see see in competitive shooting in stages where rapid fire is shot. my sloppy model 70 shoots 1/2" at 100 all day long. and is competitive to 1000 when driven properly. I do shoot a barnard action for my palma rifle.

I have a Surgeon 591 and a Borden Alpine. The Alpine have a tighter fit than the Surgeon 591 but it's not "too" tight as mention previously. I really like both of the actions I have for different reasons. You can't go wrong with Borden.

Some of the best shooters in the world are using Borden actions: I think you'll be happy. He sells different types of actions for different purposes. The hunting style actions have a little more room between bolt and body.

That said, I chose Surgeon because:
one-piece bolt
Remington extractor
Integral rail & lug

Just a preference thing and I would guess Borden does higher quality machine work on average.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arborpro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask yourself what is my plan for this rifle. Borden rifles are high precision. which really means close tolerances. they are used a lot for bench rest shooting. dirt, and dust will cause performance problems in the field. i shoot an old push feed M70 Winchester for my course rifle. and shoot that out to 1000. I do like custom actions and I'm sure everyone here likes rem 700s. but how many do see see in competitive shooting in stages where rapid fire is shot. my sloppy model 70 shoots 1/2" at 100 all day long. and is competitive to 1000 when driven properly. I do shoot a barnard action for my palma rifle. </div></div>

Not so! Borden's Alpine and Timberline actions are different than his Rimrock actions. You can drag the alpine and timberline actions anywhere you'd drag any premium tactical rifle. I'm not a fanatic about maintenance or babying any of my hunting rifles. All of my Borden rifles are hunting rifles and they are all built on the "closer tolerance" rimrock. There is no reason to believe that the alpine or timberline are any more susceptible to the rigors of the field.

Any body else have any thoughts on the action, being too tight to use as a hunting rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any body else have any thoughts on the action, being too tight to use as a hunting rifle? </div></div>

Being too tight? That's BS. If you go with the Alpine, it won't let you down. How dirty are you going to get it?! You gonna drag it through a mudhole?

Call or email Jim Borden and get his thoughts. He's a nice guys and will tell you his thoughts. It won't bind up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How dirty are you going to get it?! You gonna drag it through a mudhole? </div></div>

...some one should link you to the vortex test video...

...they do exactly that to the prototype build rifle w/ vortex attatched...