• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Borden Action

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Anyone out there that has a Borden action on their rifle. I have been hearing a lot of good things regarding action timing and smooth cocking/closing operation of their actions and would like to hear some first hand feed back.

Re: Borden Action

I have a Borden Alpine I used on a .223AI build. Cocking is smooth and bolt runs like it is on greased bearings. Can't ask for more.

Thanks, maybe I'll send a PM.

I heard someone talking them up saying the helix cam was different on the back of the bolt body and cocking piece so that that cocked very easily and I wondered if there were any first hand users.

inode - would you mind taking a picture on the underside of the bolt? I was just curious if it looked different than the typical 700 style helix?

It is true that Borden's design cams differently than a typical 700 bolt. As far a pics go, have you check Borden's site?

From Borden's site:

08.jpg

Hard to say anything negative about Jim's actions - he's totally into all the big and little details that makes an action great (fit and finish are excellent, things fitting well and close where they need to, adequate clearance where it is also needed, etc.). I have one of his new tube gun actions fitted with both a .308 bolt and a .223 bolt and both run slick and smooth as can be, with lock up close and tight. When you open the bolts they both cock and open very easily and smoothly (he's got that down real well) and it makes it easy to run the bolt fast if you need to for repeat shots. The guy comes out of a serious benchrest background and knows what it takes to make a great accuracy based action, but he also knows what is needed for practical field use as well. I just did a magazine article piece on his actions for the April issue of Precision Shooting magazine. Mine is a short action repeater set up for use with the Accuracy International 308 and 223 chassis system magazines out of an MAK repeater tube gun with things set up as a switch barrel rifle.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

Reactions: Westcoast308

I checked his site and saw this pic but my understanding is that the different helix is on the rear of the action where the cocking piece rides and I could not find one picture of that.

Yes, Jim has great attention to detail and the "whole smooth as butter while lifting the bolt" sort of caught my attention as we all try to retain sight picture between shots.

The cam angle is a function of distance of striker travel and the amount degrees of rotation you have to get it pushed back into position when the bolt is cycles so I would think that to significantly change the helix, you would have to change one of the other factors.

rcw3 - did you comment about this part of the action in your article? Haven't seen my April copy of PS yet.

I have a friend who has one of these on a 280 AI and it is a very nice action. You will not be disappointed.

Just rec'd my Alpine this week, NICE, 100% Quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rcw3 - did you comment about this part of the action in your article? Haven't seen my April copy of PS yet. </div></div>

mdesign

I did not get that deep into things in the article (i.e. "cam angle as a function of distance of striker travel and the amount degrees of rotation", etc.) as that is getting technical enough that an article starts to transition out of an easy to read and understand magazine article and into something more like an article for a scientific journal. Jim is definitely into those issues and that's why we are fortunate to have him out there making actions and paying attention to such things.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One piece bolt? </div></div>

The bolt handles are brazed onto the bolt bodies on my bolts, but whoever is doing it is doing a real nice job of it, the two bolts I have are both very well done in all respects. I have no concern of any issue with either of them.

Borden Rimrocks are a one piece bolt. Hence the price difference.

Borden offers one piece bolts as a $400 option. When I asked him the difference between the two he offered the brazed on handle was better for timing as it allowed for greatre flexibility. Based on our discussion I went with the brazed version. I have ordered a BRM action which I am anxiously waiting for.

I will echo what others have said he knows how to shoot, as he is a member in the Bench Rest hall of fame and understands what it takes to make a outstanding product.

You will be please with his products.

Trevor

So...any of you guys that have one of these actions willing to share a picture of what the helix cam and cocking piece looks like? Just curious to see if it looks different than all the others.

Got to believe that Jim knows what it takes to make a good function action. I think he was the one that pioneered the "Borden Bumps" so that the bolt fitted up better to the action when closed.