• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore bar vs reamer in 22lr

Kahrhart63

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have 2 barrels chambered with a bore bar and two guns chambered with a reamer. May be coincidence but i am leaning toward the bore bar. What are your thoughts?

Why are you leaning towards the boring bar and did you chamber the barrels?

DO you mean the chamber was cut with a boring bar VS cutting with a reamer ?

Reamer. 100% always a reamer. (Unless you are single point cutting some cutstom chamber in a cnc)

Reactions: woogie_man
I have 2 barrels chambered with a boring bar that are lights out! No tooling marks at all. The ones with reamers from top smiths have tooing marks.

Well that opens up options. Could go either way, long as you have your chamber specs dialled in.

Honestly if go with a reamer. Its a known thing.

I shoot my rifles! And my shilen that was chambered with bore bar is my best shooting Rifle. May be coincidence. But food for thought

Ive never done it, but ive heard of people messing with it.

Resizing dies (some) are done this way, and are excellent.

Personally, theres too many options for me to concider. Theres a load of 22lr reamer specs.. find one you like, roll with it.
22-LR-Chart-PTG-768x1029.jpg

I have 2 barrels chambered with a boring bar that are lights out! No tooling marks at all. The ones with reamers from top smiths have tooing marks.

Most of the time the tooling marks don't matter.

They can do some trick stuff to minimize the tooling marks in CNC, but they're not gone. A lot of the scratches you see from a reamer are because of chips. You can make a chamber look very pretty with a reamer doing more flutes and full coolant flush.

At the end of the day the attention to detail and getting things centered up and the right size matters most.

Reactions: iceng