• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore colour

WS226

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2021
Canada
So I have a savage 110 stealth in 300 win mag. Had a lot of shooting since last cleaning, waiting for my bore scope to come in and compare. It came in. The last 3/4” to the muzzle is completely clean, as if nothing was going through it. Looks as if the end of the barrel has opened up. This gun shoots .5 moa at 100 and 1000 when I do my part so I’m confused. Looks like the bullet is coming away from the barrel perfectly all the way around. I’ll try to send pics. Just want to know if anyone has seen this before.
The first pic is 2” from the crown and the second is closer. The third is after some cleaning and it appears that there is no copper on lands and you can make out a ring where the end of the threads would be for the muzzle break.
This is a factory barrel and has been just installed on another action as I have a custom barrel coming for this action in a 300 Norma. This is going to be a hunting rifle only and .5 moa is definitely good enough for that, but if I can make it better by cutting it off and recrowning I will.
Any thoughts??

Attachments

• F6C5365C-14E5-4935-8731-7F523E71DF66.jpeg
    F6C5365C-14E5-4935-8731-7F523E71DF66.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 54
  • E67AC377-AAD1-403D-A830-0FF094AB3865.jpeg
    E67AC377-AAD1-403D-A830-0FF094AB3865.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 55
  • F90E8B52-2229-423B-BFB1-8A8266C0EF7F.jpeg
    F90E8B52-2229-423B-BFB1-8A8266C0EF7F.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 52
Is there a brake on this rifle and your looking from the brake/muzzle in with a borescope to the tip of the barrel crown...?

X2.
People try to find a problem after borescoping their rifle while it still shoots.
It shoots. Shoot it until it doesn't. Then look for the issue. Believe the bullet.
Lol, that’s what I was thinking, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it type of thing. Just looking for opinions. I’m thinking borescopes can be a bad thing.

Is there a brake on this rifle and your looking from the brake/muzzle in with a borescope to the tip of the barrel crown...?
The bright small ring you see is the inside of the brake, the faint ring in the barrel is about where the threads would start for the brake.

So these pics aren't of the inside of the actual barrel they are the inside of the brake correct...? If so the inside of the brake matters zero and as the others have said if it shoots 1/2 MOA at 100yds and 1000yds its doing fine regardless of what the inside of the barrel/crown/brake looks like. I've said this before, Borescopes are the best and worst tool for shooters... Use the borescope for cleaning to see if your getting all the carbon/copper fouling out and forget about the rest if the rifle shoots well. I have a borescope and I use it regularly but only when I'm cleaning, I have barrels that have 3500rds+ on them with throats that's look like hammered dog shit firecracked all over the place... If accuracy and speed are still there I don't care, speed and accuracy drop off I pull them off...

So these pics aren't of the inside of the actual barrel they are the inside of the brake correct...? If so the inside of the brake matters zero and as the others have said if it shoots 1/2 MOA at 100yds and 1000yds its doing fine regardless of what the inside of the barrel/crown/brake looks like. I've said this before, Borescopes are the best and worst tool for shooters... Use the borescope for cleaning to see if your getting all the carbon/copper fouling out and forget about the rest if the rifle shoots well. I have a borescope and I use it regularly but only when I'm cleaning, I have barrels that have 3500rds+ on them with throats that's look like hammered dog shit firecracked all over the place... If accuracy and speed are still there I don't care, speed and accuracy drop off I pull them off...
No the pics are inside of the barrel with the BoreScope about 1.5 “ from the crown. From the chamber to the crown.
I agree though, I’m just going to leave it.

Reactions: BoltRunner
The muzzle end will always be more pristine than the chamber end. In a heavily shot rifle, what matters more is what the bore looks like at the other end, and if there's fire-cracking, pitting, carbon rings, etc. What does the bore look like around the start of the lands?

The muzzle end will always be more pristine than the chamber end. In a heavily shot rifle, what matters more is what the bore looks like at the other end, and if there's fire-cracking, pitting, carbon rings, etc. What does the bore look like around the start of the lands?
Looks good. Don’t think it has a lot of shots through it. I got this second hand and was told there was only 100 or so through it and I put another 250 through it. It did get gradually better groups as the shots piled up but that could have been me getting used to it as well.

Lol, that’s what I was thinking, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it type of thing. Just looking for opinions. I’m thinking borescopes can be a bad thing.
Absolutely not. Borescopes are great. They are incredibly useful and almost irreplaceable. When you have a problem.
They're also great for trying to find a problem you don't have.

Thanks for the replies. When I first seen this I started googling to see if anyone has seen this and get a little Insite into what it may be. Just got the bore scope so I’m still trying to learn what I’m looking at.
Just an FYI this scope is a Teslong NTS550. I bought this one for the side view camera, the side view camera doesn’t seem to focus and seems useless. I’m hoping I can get a mirror tip to fit this so I can focus better on the wall of the bore.
Thanks again