• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bore diameter for muzzle break?

KQguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
I bought a 3 port muzzle break from a guy that machined it out for me.I told him I shoot a 7mm,so when I got the break,I measured the bore diameter,it measure exactly .284".Is this too tight,or is it ok to use it like that?

Re: Bore diameter for muzzle break?

Thats way to tight , if the threads were cut at the some time the bore was cut and the bore was predrilled then machined to ensure that its strait then the brake can be reamed .020" over bullet diameter , thats as tight as I would go , personaly I'd just ream it with a 5/16 that would make about .030" over bullet diameter.

You must also make sure that the htread cut on the mussle were cut while the barrle was indicated off the bore and not the od

The exit hole of my 7mm JP brake is .310. The first baffle hole is a little larger than that, but I can't accurately measure it.

Thanks for the input,I will get it drilled out bigger when it gets installed.

Sounds like the guy shouldn't be making muzzlebrakes
frown.gif