• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore guide since Mike Lucas is no longer making them?

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Mike got back to me and is unfortunately no longer making bore guides at this point in time. What else is out there I should grab? I've got an Impact Precision 737r on order and a barrel chambered in 6.5mm CM, and a Pro-Shot cleaning rod. (22-26/42").

I've seen the 21st Century: http://www.xxicsi.com/bore-guide.html
Sinclair models: https://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/rod-guides-bore-guides/index.htm
I've had a Possum Hollow but he no longer responds email or answers the phone and his VM is full (I'm over it, no thanks on these)
Bruno: https://www.brunoshooters.com/product/81006.html

Not sure what to go with for my setup, so any suggestions would be welcome.

I can't speak good or bad about the ohters, but I have the Bore Tech and like it a lot so far.

Don't know why you think Mike Lucas is no longer making bore guides I just got one from him on Monday of this week.

Mike Lucas literally sent me mine a couple weeks ago. He told you he's done making them?

Correct.

Don't know why you think Mike Lucas is no longer making bore guides I just got one from him on Monday of this week.

He emailed this morning in reply to my request saying he was no longer making them due to health reasons. I have no idea if it is temporary or permanent, but it definitely won't work for my incoming rifle parts. I wished him all the best and that was that. Since you seem to question things, let me go ahead and post it, verbatim from Mike himself:

Mike Lucas said:
To: ormandj
Date: Jun 12, 2019, 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: Bore guide for 6.5mm CM

Thanks for the inquiry, but do to heavy bad health issues i am not
making bore guide for the duration, Thanks,.

I’ve got a Lucas guide but if he’s not making them you might try these. They seem pretty similar.

Reactions: Army First
I have always used the Sinclairs with no complaints - very happy with them. The O-ring seal and the solvent port are excellent. I do think their ordering info is un-necessarily confusing regarding what-fits-what sometimes.

As far as I can tell, the Possum Hollow is identical to the Sinclair, and in fact the owner of Possum Hollow is Eric Sinclair, one of the Sinclair boys who went out on a side venture I believe (someone at Sinclair explained it to me once, but I forget the details). Their website appears derelict to me, and has for a long time. I don't think they're even in business, but I could be wrong.

You guys are really liking the boretech? Maybe I have the wrong size (red), but mine sucks a lot. I switched to a Lucas bore guide and have been happy. This is for a 6.5x47 lapua.

I have one from creedmoor sports for my RPR and have no complaints.

I need a new one for a Mpa rifle (Curtis action)
Was going to order from creedmoor again the rem 700 version

I've got several Lucas bore guides and a Bore Tech. While not a Lucas the Bore Tech is excellent.

As far as I can tell, the Possum Hollow is identical to the Sinclair,
The normal sinclairs come as one piece with the solvent port being cut into it. They also have some different models with replaceable caliber specific end guides

The normal possum hollows the solvent port is a second piece that sticks into the end of the guide unless you get their integrated cut which Ive never seen available before other than listed on their website.

The normal sinclairs come as one piece with the solvent port being cut into it. They also have some different models with replaceable caliber specific end guides
View attachment 7094439

The normal possum hollows the solvent port is a second piece that sticks into the end of the guide unless you get their integrated cut which Ive never seen available before other than listed on their website.

View attachment 7094437View attachment 7094440

I've got multiple possum hollow guides with the integrated solvent port. You just had to call/email him and he'd make one for you however you'd like. I'm just not playing chase-the-vendor with him at this point, it's not worth my time.

I use a PMA bore guide. It seems well made and works great

Great suggestion for the PMA, that looks like exactly what I want. Just waiting to get bolt dimensions and then I'll order. Thanks for that!

Reactions: spife7980

Most of my Sinclairs have integrated solvent ports, but I have one with a separate port for my Tikka that doesn't have a folding stock. I guess there's a possibility it is a Possum Hollow and I forgot, because they sell through Sinclair, but I think it's branded Sinclair. I'll check.

Reactions: spife7980
"Just waiting to get bolt dimensions and then I'll order " What are the dimensions that you need to order? Bolt ,action and cleaning rod used? With Lucas, I had to give also the cleaning rod that I would be using?

"Just waiting to get bolt dimensions and then I'll order " What are the dimensions that you need to order? Bolt ,action and cleaning rod used? With Lucas, I had to give also the cleaning rod that I would be using?

Needed bolt size, which I've now received. Cleaning rod diameter wasn't requested, but I was able to determine they have inserts for two size rods, .22 and .30. I called and left a VM, as they are hopefully shipping me the insert for .22 rods, since the Pro-Shot rod I have (1PS-42-22/26) is a .22 rod. I assume that's the insert they send for the 6.5mm CM, but worth checking!

Last edited:
I have several Lucas guides but also use the Sinclair guides a lot.
I may actually prefer the Sinclair guide now but I do hate ordering from Sinclair/Brownell's.
They have the worst website, worst CS and worst shipping of any place I've ever used.

I ordered a bore tech and custom sleeve on tuesday night, It showed up today (friday) and fits like a glove. Impressed so far, especially with the turn time.
I'm sure these custom guys make a great guide, but it would have to really blow my skirt up to beat the ease and speed of ordering from bore tech.

Can I just say that I really like it when Tyler hears us all bitching, sees a need & then swoops in to whip out a solution real quick. And the time it takes him to respond to the market is pretty impressive. Keep up the good work, bro.

Reactions: DIBBS and kthomas
I have a few Lucas bore guides, but have started using Bore-Techs. Bore-techs work just fine, and the nice part is that they are not dedicated for one action/chambering. What would take 6 Lucas Bore-guides I can do with 3 Bore-techs (for my rifles from 6BRA to .300NM).

Interesting that there are so many fans of the Bore-Tech style guides. I've never particularly liked those non-cartridge specific ones - the ones I used always seemed prone to having that damn little handle flip up and the whole thing come *out* right in the middle of a particularly energetic brushing session.

Add 21st Century to the list along with PMA for top tier bore guides. I recently added a few more of those to my collection.

Interesting that there are so many fans of the Bore-Tech style guides. I've never particularly liked those non-cartridge specific ones - the ones I used always seemed prone to having that damn little handle flip up and the whole thing come *out* right in the middle of a particularly energetic brushing session.

Add 21st Century to the list along with PMA for top tier bore guides. I recently added a few more of those to my collection.

I haven't had any issues with the handle flipping up yet. The bore-guides fit in the chamber pretty snug on my rifles. Not as snug as say a Lucas, but snug enough to not cause any issues yet.

I’ve only had the Lucas guides so I can’t compare to other guides but I love these! I emailed with Mike Lucas from Lucas bore guides a few times yesterday and spoke with him today. Placing an order now.
Jim

Just to confirm, while Mike Lucas had some health issues last year, he is back to making bore guides. I just ordered two via email today. That is good news for those of us who prefer his bore guides.

Any recommendations for AI AXMC and AXSA actions? I need something made specifically for these actions.

This thread has me wanting to revamp my bore guide game, been using one of the universal with changeable tips. PMA is looking nice. Like they have the swappable rod diameter inserts in case there is a situation specific reason to be using a smaller rod.

Got my Mike Lucas ones in the mail yesterday. Haven't used them yet, but they look awesome.

An earlier post stated, "Mike got back to me and is unfortunately no longer making bore guides at this point in time". This is not correct. I just spoke to Mike last night and placed an order. He is still very much in business. I post this just in case anyone still thinks Mike is no longer making his bore guides.

Reactions: carbonbased
Shoot him an email. Ordering was a little odd but the product is very nice. I have gotten several from him since the "no longer making them" post also.

Mike got back to me and is unfortunately no longer making bore guides at this point in time. What else is out there I should grab? I've got an Impact Precision 737r on order and a barrel chambered in 6.5mm CM, and a Pro-Shot cleaning rod. (22-26/42").

I've seen the 21st Century: http://www.xxicsi.com/bore-guide.html
Sinclair models: https://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/rod-guides-bore-guides/index.htm
I've had a Possum Hollow but he no longer responds email or answers the phone and his VM is full (I'm over it, no thanks on these)
Bruno: https://www.brunoshooters.com/product/81006.html

Not sure what to go with for my setup, so any suggestions would be welcome.
I too have bore tech but bought a 21st Century and that's all I use anymore. Its GTG.

Reactions: LoCal247