• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore Guide

Medic1236

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
I am new to bolt action rifles. I am looking for a high quality bore guide. It is my understanding the Lucas no longer makes bore guides. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am using a Remington 700 chambered in .308

Last edited:
Well since its a generic request any old generic rod guide will do well enough. I have the Sinclair guides.

I use possum hollow and they are a solid product. Check their website for the one you need.

Reactions: Gee Kay
really like these guys but it is prem. $$.

59d1af5eb23f65689fe400cb372e036d

21st Century

I use the Tipton universe bore guide setup

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I’ve been looking at Bore Tech and I am impressed with what I’ve seen and read.

Thank you for the information. I’ve been looking at Bore Tech and I am impressed with what I’ve seen and read.
I have multiple bore guides and their proof positive jags... never had any issue with any of their equipment and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

no need of a tube of plastic or aluminum to cost more than $20!!!
however it fits, you still have to clean the chamber.

so why not use an otis system rather than a bore guide ? stupid question maybe but i love my otis. is there an accuracy problem using them.
Otis is great for portability. I have a decent size otis kit. I still prefer a rod and bore guide.
The otis is kind of a pain with a large opening muzzle break as it needs coaxed through.
One benefit of the otis is it forces you to go chamber to bore. Some people are disciplined enough to remove the bore brush and not go both ways, some people think it sacrilegious to drag ot back through. I dont think there is an accuracy issue with the Otis at all, and if you follow the above school of thought its potentially better. A solid coated rod is just easier/faster at least for me.

I recommend the Lucas bore guides. Good to hear that Mike Lucas is still making them.