• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore Guide?

Cosmic338

Ammo will become Currency
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2020
United States
Stumbled upon a Panhandle Precision video about barrel break in and mentions using a bore guide for cleaning. Found a Dewey one for .338 Lapua. 85$. Is it really worth it? Can you really damage the action and barrel just using a normal brass rod without a guide?

The bore guide is more about keeping the solvent and slop from getting into the action. You are not going to hurt the barrel with a soft rod.

Oh alright. What’s the damage of getting solvent in the action?
I suggest that you def use a bore guide but there are many that are less expensive...just a Delrin tube with an o-ring at one end and a slot on the other if you want to add solvent, etc once the brush/patch are in the guide.

Like this one

I use one like this from Tipton or Pro-shot also makes similar

The gentleman above who reference "soft rod" generally refers to, to my mind, coated good quality rods with ball bearing handle that will not scratch up your bore. Like a Dewey or Bore Tech.

As for keeping solvent out of the action...well, do you want solvent laden with loosened carbon, etc dropping into your magazine or trigger?

To me, its a small cost to help protect an expensive rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmic338
Just another thought on bore guide, I believe it helps align the tip of the rod so that when you exit the muzzle and re-enter it, it keeps the brush/jag centered over the crown. I use on with every rifle I own. I mostly shoot NRA high power XTC/Palma/Fclass, but I don’t know a single shooter shooter that doesn’t. It keeps you bolt lugs and your crown as safe as can be.

Reactions: Frank Green
I have been using a Possum Hollow the past few years and it works fine. I also use the solvent port with it.

Another Possum Hollow user here. 700sa, 700la and 1 solvent port.
I also have guides for large and small frame ARs.
Keeping solvents out of the stock prevents softening or deterioration of bedding epoxy over long-term. Doesn't affect a chassis as much but it will also wash lubricants from triggers, bolt ways, etc.

Last edited:
Been using Mike Lucas' boreguides for years. Recommend it highly.

Have used them myself for years but went to buy another and crickets so that’s why I went to the Possum Hollow. I still have a Lucas for my magnum though. My short action ended up breaking. They are awesome though.

Are there bore guides more suited for barrel-off cleaning (i.e. clean a barrel that is not on a receiver)?

No, they slip into the action from the back. Cant be used with a barrel that is not mounted really. It’s the action that holds it in place.

Stumbled upon a Panhandle Precision video about barrel break in and mentions using a bore guide for cleaning. Found a Dewey one for .338 Lapua. 85$. Is it really worth it? Can you really damage the action and barrel just using a normal brass rod without a guide?
I have used the Dewey rod and bore guide for a 6.5 cm and have been very happy with it. I think it is worth the $85 but only you can make that judgement given your budget or after using it.

Reactions: Frank Green
It will fill your trigger with crap , you can patch out with the rifle upside down to minimise that happening but its awkward.

Not to mention if you use a stock that has been bedded....the solvent will get underneath the action and into the stock area etc...yes things have gotten better over the years with bedding compound and the quality of the stocks but I say always a risk of solvent messing with the bedding compound/stock.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I have used the Dewey rod and bore guide for a 6.5 cm and have been very happy with it. I think it is worth the $85 but only you can make that judgement given your budget or after using it.

Cleaning rods are cheap $$$ compared to how much you stick into building a rifle etc....not to mention damaging the barrel.

I probably have more Dewey rods at home than I would care to admit.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I saw something like this at 21st century shooting. A shorty bore guide for barrel-off-cleaning.
Thanks! Would be cool if there was something tenon-specific, instead of chamber-specific. Seems like that would be more useful, albeit less profitable. Lots of barrel thread protectors, but nobody has made one with a tube sticking out of it, yet.

Where are you seeing the Dewey bore guide for $85? That must include more than just the bore guide. Dewey lists the .338 bore guide for $26.

I use their bore guide for .30 cal and it works well for me.