• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore pitting near muzzle?

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
I have a barrel that only has perhaps 50 or so rounds through it that seems to be showing some pitting near the muzzle... call it the last 1.5-2" of the bore. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

The details are that it's a 30" Bartlein chambered and set up by a very well-known and highly regarded shop, and the chambering is 338LM AI. I should also note that the barrel has gone through a Melonite process (through the shop/smith that did the rest of the barrel work). I have owned it for several years, and have only recently gained enough confidence in my shooting/loading skills to put this barrel into service. Saturday was the first time I have run full-house loads through it... 300 gr Bergers with a starting load of 105 gr of US869, and finishing at 111.8 gr over the course of 20 rounds. I should note that I started seeing 3000 FPS velocities around 111.0 gr (pulling the trigger is, uh, an experience). There is a muzzle device installed; a TBAC 338 BA brake/mount (no can installed for yesterday's shooting).

In any event, I got home and was too beat to clean the rifle on Saturday, so I did it yesterday. Using ye olde Lyman video bore scope, I noticed what appears to be the pitting that I mentioned earlier. Deeper in the bore is fine, and the chamber/throat looks great. Using the Lyman, I took a couple pics of what I am talking about, along with an area slightly deeper in the bore where the pitting seems to start (that's the crown towards the right edge of the first pic):

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

I should note that this bore has never seen a brush of any sort, so we're not looking at a brass brush being reversed in the bore or dragged across the crown. I can't really comment on accuracy, given that I was just doing a pressure ladder and no two loads were the same. I CAN say that the 20 round pressure ladder was a group with relatively little in the way of horizontal stringing, but spread over probably 2.5" vertically (as you'd expect for MV variance of 250-ish FPS). So... any ideas what may be going on?

The real question is whether the rifle shoots. If so, carry on. So many people posting "issues" found with borescopes yet the barrels shoot just fine....

Did you check the bore before shooting?

Melonite is sometimes called Salt Bath Nitriding, if there was salt residue after the Melonite, it might have been putting before you shot it.

I'm not sure what could cause pitting so fast if it was ok before firing.

I honestly don't recall if I scoped the bore after shooting the fireforming loads... I know for sure that I cleaned it at that point, but I don't recall whether or not I scoped it. Anyhow, my main concern is identifying the cause of the pitting so that I can take steps to mitigate it in regard to the rest of the bore.

I now know where I want to start my load dev, so accuracy determination is still on the "to do" list.