• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore sighted rifle for ladder test

Shootlong

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Have a new rifle that I ran 20 rounds of factory ammo for barrel break in. I have a dumb question, being new to reloading. Can I start my ladder at 100 yards for the first two rounds to see if I'm on paper or should I purchase more factory ammo , get on paper at 100 and then start my ladder at 300? Thank you for your consideration.

I would buy another box or four of the same exact thing you got the first time so that you have a decent sized batch of brass. Get 100 rounds on your rifles barrel. Reloading 20 rounds only sucks.

Use factory ammo to get on paper at 100,

take tour ladder loads to 300.

A splatter target the size of a sheet of paper (8.5x11) is sufficient enough for a ladder. Aim at the top 1/3
of paper center mass and you should be hitting near bottom of target.

only thing you can do better is instead of using factory ammo, make 10 rounds of your starting charge. That should give you enough for a rough 100 yd zero then use the rest as spotters for you starting your 300yd ladder

only thing you can do better is instead of using factory ammo, make 10 rounds of your starting charge. That should give you enough for a rough 100 yd zero then use the rest as spotters for you starting your 300yd ladder

This is what I do except I do my ladders at 500-700 yards. The farther you can shoot the clearer your results will be.

You should be able to get a good zero at 100 in 6 rounds, use a chronograph, you can use that to figure drop. Figure few rounds at distance to get on paper. I usually load about 12 at the lowest charge and shoot whatever is left at the end.