• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes "Bore Sighting" at home???

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
Well the range i am going to take my AR for the first time requires to have it "bore sighted". What is the easiest way to do that at home, or is there a way? Take into account i live in town, so me sitting in my back yard is OK just as long as the neighbors don't call the locals!!! I know this is more of a newbie thing but i have never really had a AR with a scope on it so the last time i sighted in a scope was about 3 years ago on my muzzle-loader!!! Thanks and sorry for showing my greenery with optics, oh its a Trijicon 1.5 x4.

Re: "Bore Sighting" at home???

I do it pretty often. Sand bag your rifle (or probably just your upper). Look down the bore and pick out something small with good contrast at as far away as you can. I like to sight at the tip of a pine tree a couple miles away. Anyway, center the object in your bore. You get kind of a double concentric circle view with the breach and the muzzle being aligned and the object centered. Then, without moving the barrel, dial your scope so it is aimed at the same point. I've never been off more than a few inches at 100 yards with this method.

Re: "Bore Sighting" at home???

That's a start.........i was testing my hold and scope height on the neighbors dogs three houses down, the pine tree might be better!