• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore Snake Question

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I've always used a rod to clean my rifle after about every 1000 rounds (6 - 8 weeks). I'd like to get away from the rod and use a bore snake. However, most of the fouling is removed when I run a rod through with patches until they are clean, which you cannot do with a bore snake. So my question is, is a bore snake good enough, or will I still have to use the rod for patches? If I still have to use the rod, it kind of seems pointless...

Re: Bore Snake Question

I don't know why you think you will need any patches. A bore snake with your favorite solvent has far more surface area than a few patches. The critter's claim to fame is cleaning in one pass because of the enormous amount of cloth that comes in contact with the bore. Use one and see how you like the way it cleans, it couldn't hurt. I don't use one because the brush is not an optional device in the bore snake. I would rather not brush my rimfire. The thing will clean your bore in a rimfire.

I myself do not like the snake. As you clean, all the foulings and powder stayes in the cloth of the snake. When I clean, I like to see the patch when it comes out clean. This is JMO.

Check out a patch worm, you can pull patches to see when they're clean but not have to worry about damage to the crown as you do with the rod. I've been using the worm over the snake for my .17 recently and exclusivly on the .22 with good results.

http://20-20.8m.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbajoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out a patch worm, you can pull patches to see when they're clean but not have to worry about damage to the crown as you do with the rod. I've been using the worm over the snake for my .17 recently and exclusivly on the .22 with good results.

</div></div>

I agree, I'm a cheap SOB & I make my own patch worm from weed whacker line.

You will be pissed when the bore snake cord breaks off and you are using it on a long barrel and there is nothing hanging out either side to retrieve it. Steer clear of them if you ask me.

I use bore snakes on everything. 22 to 12 gauge. Everything gets the snake. I haven't had a problem with them yet and the bores of the rifles do "look" clean but i guess nothing is for sure unless you have a bore scope... for me the bore snake works good enough. And considering you leave your bore unclean for the most part (as do i) then there really isn't much harm done if not everything gets totally cleen. This is my understanding at least. YMMV

On a rimfire, a boresnake is fine for about 20K rounds. I actually use a length of trimmer line with a knot on one end and an angled cut on the other to piecer a patch with and pull it through.
I do a wet patch of Butch's then a few dry ones, then a damp CLP one, then a few dry ones, very infrequently (or when I change brands of ammo).

It's not too hard to pick the brushes out of a bore snake, if you don't want to brush.
Me? I clean a .22 when the accuracy drops off.
It can be a lot of rounds.

yep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbajoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out a patch worm, you can pull patches to see when they're clean but not have to worry about damage to the crown as you do with the rod. I've been using the worm over the snake for my .17 recently and exclusivly on the .22 with good results.

</div></div>

I use a boresnake for the range/emergencies, such as getting dirt down the barrel. As stated above, it's not a replacement for patches.

shooter65 said:
yep.

Had the .22 of yours out this afternoon. That thing shoots awesome! I saw your ad for the second challenge ed., that guy will be sorry he backed out...

Bore snakes are handy, but not a final solution

Still worth having a guide and cleaning rod as you never know when that rifle might need a very thorough clean, perhaps after long term storage

Thanks for all of the great info guys. I really appreciate it. I really want to see my patches clean too. One of the reasons I asked. I think I'm going to get both a bore snake and a patch worm. Thanks again!

How often do you guys clean? What's your teller, lack of precision, fear of fouling etc? Cannot recollect I've ever cleaned a .22LR - not even when I was a competitive shooter with .22LR..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be pissed when the bore snake cord breaks off and you are using it on a long barrel and there is nothing hanging out either side to retrieve it. Steer clear of them if you ask me. </div></div>

Happened to me with my 17hmr....sucked!

I mostly clean the bolt face, and barrel faces.

I pull a snake for good measure, but im more worried about buildup in the receiver over buildup in the bore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be pissed when the bore snake cord breaks off and you are using it on a long barrel and there is nothing hanging out either side to retrieve it. Steer clear of them if you ask me. </div></div>

Happened to me with my 17hmr....sucked! </div></div>

How did you get it out?? I'm guessing it was not as easy as pushing it out with a rod?..

I take weed wacker string and cut 1 or 2 slits in it and put my patches in the slits.It works great and is easy to carry.I keep one in all my vehicles and on my cleaning bench.But when accuracy falls off you need to patch and brush.A lot of your match grade rimfire bullets are coated in some way and this will fill riflings!And on match chambers when you close the bolt, or in Thompon Center match barrels,when you close frame you are seating bullet in the lands.So this will fill riflings.Most .22 rimfire have what I call sweet spots where from a clean barrel it takes x amount of rounds down the tube to get ultimate accuracy.

If I take my rifle out once a month, is that long enough that I should need to lube the bore while it's properly stored?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a boresnake for the range/emergencies, <span style="font-weight: bold">such as getting dirt down the barrel</span>. As stated above, it's not a replacement for patches. </div></div>

What? the snake is amazing, it cant get dirt out, it is a string. AND it has super patch REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is it not a replacement? No 5 or ten patch runs will EVER EVER clean as well as it will. Ever. I WILL meet anyone who says otherwise. One pull of the rope and one patch, rope wins everytime. Snake with solvent is just as good as ANY multiple patch job.

But good call on the rope braking. Have had 2 ropes brake. that is the companys weak pt.

Regards,
DT

bore snakes are amazing and should pull all of the fouling out in 1 or 2 runs through the barrel. I use them on all my guns and it seems like nomatter how many rounds i put through them, one swipe with the bore snake and the barrel looks like it did out of the factory. bore snake is a great product and will absolutely serve you well.

I use the snakes for quick clean up and use Otis kits when I do detailed cleanings.

If you have any doubt about how effective the snake is, just run a patch through after pulling the snake through 3-5 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be pissed when the bore snake cord breaks off and you are using it on a long barrel and there is nothing hanging out either side to retrieve it. Steer clear of them if you ask me. </div></div>

How did you get it out?? I'm guessing it was not as easy as pushing it out with a rod?..</div></div>

Unfortunately after getting very...very pissed off...I slept on it. Then in the morning I cut a metal hanger, to use the straight portion. Then it pissed me off even more that because of this inferior product, I was about to stick a portion of metal hanger through my bore! So I stuck the end of the hanger into one of my wifes candles (finally a good use for them) to put a coat of wax on the end of it. Then just carefully pushed it through till a little bit of the bore snake stuck out the muzzle. Of which I grabbed with needle nose pliers. All was well after that...no damage. Just me extremely pissed off at the situation!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be pissed when the bore snake cord breaks off and you are using it on a long barrel and there is nothing hanging out either side to retrieve it. Steer clear of them if you ask me. </div></div>

How did you get it out?? I'm guessing it was not as easy as pushing it out with a rod?..</div></div>

Unfortunately after getting very...very pissed off...I slept on it. Then in the morning I cut a metal hanger, to use the straight portion. Then it pissed me off even more that because of this inferior product, I was about to stick a portion of metal hanger through my bore! So I stuck the end of the hanger into one of my wifes candles (finally a good use for them) to put a coat of wax on the end of it. Then just carefully pushed it through till a little bit of the bore snake stuck out the muzzle. Of which I grabbed with needle nose pliers. All was well after that...no damage. Just me extremely pissed off at the situation!</div></div>

I ended up using a one piece cleaning rod for a .204 and was able to get it pushed far enough out to get a hold of it and pull it the rest of the way and right into the garbage.

That wasn't an option for me. I bought the 17 to shoot pdogs with. Where I was shooting at the time, there were houses close enough that I wouldn't use my 223 and 22lr just wasn't enough. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in the caliber just in case I didn't like it. Which I didn't. Sold the rifle soon after. Over priced and under performed cartrige. For what they get for 17hmr ammo....I will just shoot a lot more 22lr! Rediculous what they want for 17! Hell, I can just about shoot my 223 reloads for the same price!

Edit: in fact....if I don't shoot my precision loads, I can shoot 223 cheaper than 17hmr! Screw that cartridge!

I shoot Rimfire benchrest with a old Vostok Russian .22 LR single shot ($350 used) with a junkie BSA 36X power scope ($69.99 Midway sale). I'm left handed so the Vostock got took off it's old ugly wood stock and got embedded onto my brothers old Ultimate Sniper stock (free). Looks pretty good for old and hand me down and built on the cheap. I shoot Wolf MT only with it and never cleaned it for least two years now. I always beat out my brothers 64 Annie with 40X Weaver Target scope consistently.
As far as cleaning benchrest or single action or a dedicated bolt action rifle and your just shooting the same brand .22LR ammo through the same gun you should be able to shoot it for hundreds and even thousands of rounds. If you notice the accuraccy start going away then I would clean it and I would use a proper cleaning rod, jags, brushes and patches. Pretty much as far as the rimfire benchrest guys reccommend.
But I also use Bore Snakes too but it is on my 10/22 that is set in a Nordic Components AR style stock that is set up like a A2 style AR. It is harder to take apart in that stock so I just Bore snake the thing out after a few runs at my club's monthly 2-gun matches. I also just bore snake my pistols out including my Ruger MKIII, revolvers, 1911 since I'm not shooting long distance with them and not worried about percision groups just center target from a pistol.
Guess I'm saying if it is a precision rifle you should clean with the rod and patch and bore snake for a run and gun rig.

Been doin this shit since I was a punk...still am some days....bore snake is the best thing thats happened to shooting since non-corrosive primers and rifling.

p.s. Watch guys start bitching. As Boltripper says: "Get the popcorn:.