• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore tech bore guide

wyld3man

Send It
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2017
FL
Anyone have experience with bore tech bore guides? I am in the market for a new one and been thinking about picking one up.

Anyone have experience with bore tech bore guides? I am in the market for a new one and been thinking about picking one up.

I bought the bore tech Gold guide a while back and I like it a lot. Snugs into the chamber nicely on everything I’ve used it on (22-250, .243, 6.5 creed) and aligns really well with the bore.

Worth the $ IMO

Thanks, just sent Lucas an e-mail. I will give it some time to see if he gets back to me. If not I will probably go with the bore tech.

I have some Mike Lucas bore guides and recently acquired a couple of the bore-techs.

While the Mike Lucas guides are usually pretty good, I have a few different cartridges and rifles, and I didn't want to keep attaining dedicated bore guides for each new cartridge. In my limited use so far, the Bore-Tech's seem to do everything that a Lucas does. With my Bore-Tech bore guides, I need only 3 bore guides, versus the 5 dedicated Lucas guides I would otherwise need.

I like to keep things simple, and the Bore-Techs seem to do a good job of that. Either way (Bore-Tech vs Lucas), you'll get a good bore guide.

I've used both, and the Bore tech doesn't compare to the Lucas. The Lucas fits much better, it gives a great sense of security.

I've used both, and the Bore tech doesn't compare to the Lucas. The Lucas fits much better, it gives a great sense of security.

The Lucas is certainly more snug - it's designed to have a lot more surface area in contact with the action. However, I wouldn't say that the way the Bore-Tech is designed would really cause any issues if used properly.

Rifle cleaning seems to be such a controversial topic, and we certainly have a tendency as a community to overly complicate it. Hell, I've converted to uncoated stainless steel cleaning rods, which I'm sure will explode some heads here o_O

Lucas is made specifically for your action and rod diameter.

Doesn't get any better to keep the rod properly centered in the bore

Mike got back to me this morning, gave him all the information he needed and sent him the payment. He said it should ship around 3 June. I was kind of skeptical whether or not I would hear from him based on reading some other threads, but it took less then 24 hrs to essentially complete the order.

What would you guys recommend for cleaning ar15's and ar10's where you only have a faxon pencil barrel on them?

That being, these are definitely not precision rifles so is there really a point in using an expensive Mike Lucas cleaning rod on them?

What would you recommend as a good value cleaning rod for ar15's and ar10's? Or would you just not even use a bore guide on a rifle like that?

Thanks

My AR barrel wasn't all that inexpensive and i tend to be pretty careful with my things so i think a bore guide is a good idea.

The Sinclair polymer ones seem to work well in my experience. They're comparatively less expensive. Every year or 2 i change the O-ring on them. They have an integrated port through which you can add a few drops of your preferred cleaner product. For an AR i think they work nicely and one fits all my AR rifle types. I have a small cube of soft wood that i use to prop open the AR upper as it's hinged on the lower...just makes it easier to access the barrel. I know they sell little polymer devices to do this but i had the little scrap block of wood and it works fine.

Over the years I've ended up purchasing several of these bore guides...generally on sale, one for each of my bolt action rifles as each different rifle receiver had different dimensions. If i recall correctly i called Sinclair and they asked for the bolt dimensions in order to choose the proper fit.

I never tried the Lyman one size fits all type.

Last edited:
I emailed Mike last Monday, he replied to my email in 18 minutes.........