• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bore update is this normal wear

Mareshow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Finally got a better bore scope and my 6.5mm cm rig seems to have fire cracking after about 750 rounds.

I did a treatment of wipe out twice, first for one hour. Second for 12 hours and here is what’s left.

Any advice or products to remove the rest or am I not going to get it out photos are just after the chamber, about 4” in and about 8” in

Attachments

• 56E06D52-A14A-44AA-8EEF-82AECAF692CA.jpeg
    56E06D52-A14A-44AA-8EEF-82AECAF692CA.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 40AD476A-E460-4F1C-A5EB-CC64CF5101B2.jpeg
    40AD476A-E460-4F1C-A5EB-CC64CF5101B2.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 98
  • B831CBDD-7498-4A2A-B9FD-821A0F5251A0.jpeg
    B831CBDD-7498-4A2A-B9FD-821A0F5251A0.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Holy broken context, Batman. It takes a minute to realize that OP is not saying that he uses WipeOut to remove fire cracking. Turns out it's just 2 completely disjointed and unrelated thoughts that got concatenated together into a single paragraph, if one can even call it that, like some sort of textual chimera.

Why you're trying to remove all the copper I can't even begin to speculate on though I'll bet that you're just doing it because it sounds nice. Current conventional wisdom is that cleaning like that does nothing of good for your barrel or anything else. Shoot more. Clean less. Live a happy life.

Reactions: Mareshow
That's normal. If you are not getting pressure or accuracy issues, I would leave it be and just shoot it. But if you are set on getting it bare metal clean, get some abrasives. Chemicals, and patches or even brushes will not get that hard baked carbon off. I have tried most of the popular methods and chemicals and abrasives are the easiest way to remove all that hard bake carbon.

But I am sure someone will come in soon to say he uses X product without using abrasives to get his barrels perfectly clean. That's how these threads go. lol

I really just focus on getting the chamber and throat clean but that barrel looks clean to me.

Holy broken context, Batman. It takes a minute to realize that OP is not saying that he uses WipeOut to remove fire cracking. Turns out it's just 2 completely disjointed and unrelated thoughts that got concatenated together into a single paragraph, if one can even call it that, like some sort of textual chimera.

Why you're trying to remove all the copper I can't even begin to speculate on though I'll bet that you're just doing it because it sounds nice. Current conventional wisdom is that cleaning like that does nothing of good for your barrel or anything else. Shoot more. Clean less. Live a happy life.
yeah that’s pre first coffee posting right there haha that’s my mentality as well but of course now that I can see better the paranoia sets in

That's normal. If you are not getting pressure or accuracy issues, I would leave it be and just shoot it. But if you are set on getting it bare metal clean, get some abrasives. Chemicals, and patches or even brushes will not get that hard baked carbon off. I have tried most of the popular methods and chemicals and abrasives are the easiest way to remove all that hard bake carbon.

It shoots like a dream still :) thanks!
But I am sure someone will come in soon to say he uses X product without using abrasives to get his barrels perfectly clean. That's how these threads go. lol

Wipeout is usually the miracle worker for me but this is also my most used rifle

After 30 years of reloading and a lifetime of shooting i still dont own a borescope.
Its bliss 👍

Lol don’t buy one first thing I did was check all my barrels

Reactions: XLR308