• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing boredom project

ricky708

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
moorcroft wyo
So I had the day off again... oilfield, feast or famine I guess.
Anyhow I have a contender with a couple barrels, one of them was a 44mag hotshot barrel with the screw in choke.
So as a 44 its ok minute of paper plate it has killed deer, but never really thrilled me. So I've been wanting a 22lr
barrel for it and never have the cash, but I had a couple old 22's in the junk bin and I have my lathe so.. barrel insert?
Looked it over, should be doable. Turn the 22 barrel down to a 44mag with a 10" long .415" bullet, land diameter is .418"
so .003" for clearance. Drop it down the barrel, just right not loose but not dragging on the rifling. So then I take the choke
thing run a 7/16" tap down thru it as far as it will go, its a tapered straight groove thing .435" at the back and .375ish" at
the muzzle. Took my barrel insert and threaded it then tapered the muzzle end down to match my "barrel nut". Milled out a slot
for the extractor then a recess at 3oclock for 22 shell extraction. Kinda redneck but fired shells pull right out with a fingernail,
and no hassle switching back and forth, just unscrew choke let the insert slide out, 44mag again.
I was hoping it would be plinking accurate, 5 rds to adjust scope, then shot a 50yd 1-1/4" 25 rnd group with bulk pack ammo.
I was pretty happy with that, should do anything I want it to. It just might stay a 22.
Sorry no pics or anything just thought I'd share.

Man great work and thank you for sharing! Post pictures if you get the chance.

Nice, those contenders are fun and easy to experiment with. So how is the insert captured? Does it have a rim at the back like a 44 case, or is it held in place with the choke threads?

I've seen someone take an old barrel with the welded-on lug, cut that off just past the lug (but long enough for the scope mount), bore it out and thread it. Then you can just make whatever barrel you want to play with thread into that piece.

I did both a rim on the back and I threaded the inside of the choke and outside of insert so its locked in from both ends. It shoots good enough I might make a 22 mag and a hornet insert
for it. I thought about doing the mono-block thing but I still have a ton of 44 stuff to shoot up!

and your right Chad not much else to do around here.