• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Borescopes ??

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
How many of you use a Borescope? I was thinking of getting one. I do shoot alot and would like info on brands and what the advantages are.

Re: Borescopes ??

I have a HawkEye kit like this one:
http://www.hawkeyeblue.com/catalog/item/6188551/5996217.htm

I find it useful, but within very confined parameters, and the average guy could probably skip the expense. I like having it, but seldom get it out anymore.

I find it useful for examining chambers and bores during machining, troubleshooting or evaluating a gun I may buy. They can also be useful when experimenting with cleaning methods and chemicals.

As far as telling whether a gun will shoot, LOL, you usually cannot. I have seen some great shooting rifles with scary bad barrels, with advanced firecracking, badly eroded rifling and lost material, while others that look nearly pristine do not shoot well at all.

I find that it usually just confirms something I could already tell with a cleaning rod & tight brush, and the proof is always on target anyway.

About the only time I was able to tell why a rifle didn't shoot well was that I could see a chamber cut way off center and I felt like that explained why it never shot well, even when new.

what E.shell says......

i also use a borescope...there are many different kinds....i use a locksmith bore scope....not anywhere as nice as a hawkeye....but it gets me what i want to know...remember its just a tool.....knowing what you see is entirely another matter.

I will get one later this summer. I do think this would be a good tool to have. I don't want to spend alot on it but of course want something good. If I was going to use it more on a daily or weekly basis. I would want something that would be of better quailiy. I will have to think on that.
What is some prices of mid grade borescopes?

For the good hawkeye scopes you looking at around 800 for the scope and about 500 for the 90 deg piece. A complete kit with rechargable light comes to about 1800. A mid priced scope will cost you around 500 then there is the other accesories.

For the average guy it's an expense better spent somewhere else, and like Boltripper said, if you don't know what you're looking at, or for, then what's the point.

I have a Hawkeye but then again I install lots of barrels and it's mainly used to check the throat and lead as well as the crown after they are cut.

I have 2 of the Hawkeye units. They are nice. I would suggest you get the longer 17" unit. The 7" piece is only good for checking muzzles on most rifles. It's shorter length makes it hard to use on a bolt action rifle with a scope mounted.

Like stated above. You can get a lot of information with a borescope. Learning what that information is telling you takes a while to learn.

You can get a type of information overload with a borescope. Everything you see is not always bad. I replaced 3 good barrels before I figured out the copper in places on the barrel are not ALWAYS a bad thing.

If I may also suggest... If the rifle shoots well with a little copper in the barrel, and worse when you scrub it all out, learn how much you can safely remove before your groups open up.

I will purchase one in the fall. I have shot out one barrel and the other I have around 1200 in a 260 in 5 months. Iam going to shoot more my 308 because of barrel life. I would like a tool like this. It would take some trial and error but it would be nice.

I had to laugh at this thread. I started to begin a thread earlier this week about my experience with a Hawkeye on Monday night, but figured I would just keep my piehole shut, but here it goes anyway.

I had access to a Hawkeye and thought why the hell not take a look at my rifles and see how the barrels are. Damn, talk about too much information for an average Joe. I had a few that looked fantastic (Anschutz, Badger, and 2 Krieger's) and a few factory hammer forged ones that made me cringe. The funny thing is, as mentioned above by others that know what the hell they are looking at, they all shoot very well, and my cleaning technique ain't too bad.

After looking at 7 rifles, I put the thing back in the box and vowed never again use one of these evil things as I don't NEED to know some things in this life.
grin.gif
grin.gif
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Hawkeye. It is the best investments I have ever made. </div></div>

And why is that?

Has it helped you determine or accomplish anything that you really needed to do or needed to know? Or has it helped you realize what you are seeing isn't necessarily a bad thing? Most guys have no idea what they are looking at or for when using a bore scope.

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just kind of curious as to why you think it's the best investment you ever made.

My shooting partner and I occasionally have access to a Hawkeye. He is the one who actually gains access and I only take peeks with it when I'm over at his place a few times a month, so he does the grand majority of scoping and is the one with the actual knowledge.

The scope is valuable for correlating bore conditions with performance, and keeping track of those conditions over time. Cleaning consequences can be clearly determined, and we've eventually learned a lot about what is and isn't necessary vis-s-vis cleaning and accuracy.

As has been noted above, the information one gleans can be surprising and confusing, and can even be misleading, but any time information is available, it is always better than conjecture. Anyone can make mistakes and take information the wrong way, but there were lots of times we wished we had the scope when it wasn't immediately available, and I think that says something pretty telling about borescopes.

Greg

Greg I totally agree, and this is what it should be used for. Like I said I use mine mainly to look at newly cut barrels to be sure everything went ok.

If the bore scope is used to gain knowledge and learn from then it's a good tool, but it’s only one part of the puzzle.

I know guys that will turn down a rifle base solely on what they see in the bore scope and this is a big mistake and comes directly from not know what they are looking at and only what they have been told or seen on the internet, big mistake.

I learned immediately what kind of cleaning procedures work and do not work. I found that bronze brushes work best for cleaning my bores. I have cut my cleaning time down not having to pass bronze brushes and the cleaning rod through the bore any more than is necessary. I also can monitor the carbon fouling in the first few inches of my barrels very closely so that I know when I need to clean it out with a few passes of some bore paste. Even bronze brushes have a hard time keeping the carbon fouling in check after several hundreds of rounds. Keeping my cleaning to a minimum saves me time, prolongs the life of my barrels, and also keeps my weapons operating at their peak accuracy levels more consistently.
Basically what Greg has said as for a performance monitoring tool and also it is more preferable to have too much information than too little.