• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Boring bar recommendation

chipsfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Northeast USA
Hi,

Can someone recommend a boring bar for opening up muzzle brakes? I guess I need to bore from .243" (.223+.020) and up. I don't need it to feed coolant. Its for a G4003G lathe.

Thank you

check out the online MSC catalog..or Enco... they call them micro-B-bars....... also i think amazon lists them........ otherwise just use a 6mm drill (.244)for your application

check out the online MSC catalog..or Enco... they call them micro-B-bars....... also i think amazon lists them........ otherwise just use a 6mm drill (.244)for your application

Thank you, I'll take a look. I wanted to bore it, instead of drilling, so it is concentric.

Bore it!!!! Solid carbide will work the best. You could use an endmill of smaller dia and use one flute as boring bar in a pinch. Not saying use in drill chuck. use it just like a boring bar. All depends on how deep you have to bore. Light cuts and experiment on something else first to prevent chatter.

Shoot me a PM and ill drop one in the mail to ya , I have a hand full of 3/16 carbide bars.
Merry Christmas

I bought one of these from grizzly Grizzly.com the inserts are only sold in a pk of 10 though. It has served me really well. Take light cuts at fast RPMS and leaves a very nice finish.

Kc

At smaller diameter be sure and find a solid carbide bar to prevent push off or very minimum push off from the bar.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Bore it!!!! Solid carbide will work the best. You could use an endmill of smaller dia and use one flute as boring bar in a pinch. Not saying use in drill chuck. use it just like a boring bar. All depends on how deep you have to bore. Light cuts and experiment on something else first to prevent chatter.

Wow- that's pretty pilgrim-thank you for the tip

I use a .263"(for 6mm of course) chucking reamer. A micro boring bar will work too. Just look at the minimum bore size and length to see if it will work for you. You could always grind one from HSS to make work.

Last edited:
I use this one for boring brakes 7mm and up: Boring Bars | MSCDirect.com. I also love it for cutting the crown on muzzles. I think I'd buy this one and the next one smaller if you were going to be doing brakes down to .223.

I have a bar similar to that, but mine has a smaller min bore diameter and max bore length of 1.250", so can't bore a brake in one operation. Should pick up a longer one...they work great.

Last edited: