• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Boss aquired an old Takarev

dohnuts58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
the big MO
Got it back a few years, before he retired, when he was the Marine Det 1st Sgt at Ft Sill. Doesn't have any mags for it, so he never shot it, Marine he got it from brought it back from somewhere while on MSG. Guy he got it from never shot it as he had no mags. He asked me as the only recreational shooter/"resident redneck" (only Missouri boy on our shift) what I knew of them and what I thought. I told him I know nothing about them other than being Russian made i know nothing, and to have a smith go over it first.

The question I have, is it worth shooting, or keep it as a talk piece? Garbage guns?

Re: Boss aquired an old Takarev

Well, there are multilple countries who turned these out on old Soviet specs. Norinco (China), Yugos, and Romanians. Norinco made one chambered im 9mm Para so I'd check for markings first. Most are chambered in 7.62x25. Very hot round (think .357+ velocities) and surplus ammo is available...and cheap. Once you idenfy the maker/caliber you can find mags for it from several sources. Hit me with a PM if I can help.

I have a few spare mags if it's a CZ -52 in 7.62 x 25. round is designed to be used in a sub gun also so it is pretty hot. makes a great, really loud flashlight. muzzle flash is spectacular with the green laquered rounds. great fun to shoot and it,s pretty impressive on level 2 stuff. YMMV

still unsure of the make, he keeps forgetting to bring it in, but he did say its 9 mil

So, Lt finally brought it in, I took it home and checked it out. I dont know quite what to think of it, not too terrible looking, slide was pretty smooth operating, no frills gun. I did NOT like the sights (front blade was an 1/8th inch wide and rear was kinda mashed/rounded looking but still had bluing) and the grips were factory plastic with a few gouges and a couple chips on edges/corners. In addition, the sights were molded or welded in and didnt look like they were readily changeable to something better.

All in all I thought it wasn't bad, and it would probably be an alright piece to add to the collection. What do you think?