• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing BOSS brake on a Rem 700 ?

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
OK - I'm kinda a dyed in the wool Rem700 owner. I've got a 30-06 Rem700 hunting rifle however I believe that the Browning BOSS adjustable brake is a fantastic system. (I don't want to go out and spend the $ for a wickedly cool Browning A-Bolt rifle with the BOSS system so I'd just like to install one on my Rem700).

Can I order a BOSS muzzle brake system from Browning then send it all to GAP and have them install it?

I did see this company make one but it has holes in it and I want to get the one that has no holes.
http://www.remington700rifle.com/Accessories.php

Anyone know how I can get a BOSS system? Does Browning sell that as a separate part?

Re: BOSS brake on a Rem 700 ?

I always recommend this brake
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22633/Product/T2K_TUNEABLE_MUZZLE_BRAKE
My 260 and 308 don't move, the closed bottom keeps dust from getting kicked up, it's not loud for the shooter, I find slightly indexed to the left perfect for me, downside for you may be that you need a barrel that can be threaded for 3/4-28, most if not all sporter contours are too small.

It's a sporter barrel so that's out but that is the idea of what I am looking for but without the ports. I'd like to have one that didn't have the ports to cut down on how much noise is near me. The recoil is not a factor. I'd just like to be able to do this the other way around and instead of load developing for this rifle I want to pick a factory load and then tune my hunting rifle to it.

Guess in the end I can machine my own custom type brake that just screws in/out and has a threaded locking nut to secure it in place.

From what you describe I think you are looking for a harmonic barrel tuner, not a muzzle break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what you describe I think you are looking for a harmonic barrel tuner, not a muzzle break. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I order a BOSS muzzle brake system from Browning then send it all to GAP and have them install it?</div></div>

No. Browning won't sell the brake separately. If you lost one you'd have to send the rifle back to Browning to have them install a new one.

Now if your looking for a tuner check out Precision Shooting magazine. There's a few tuners advertised in the magazine.

Yep - harmonic barrel tuner is what I am looking for. I just want it so that I can tune a factory load to the barrel instead of the other way around.

The Tubb brake I posted up the thread is a tuner and brake, just like the Boss, I load up ammo looking for the lowest ES\SD and turn the Tubb brake to shrink the group, it works, try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 208Plinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">huh?? "Recoil is not a factor" Then you dont need a muzzle break......</div></div>

He isn't asking for a muzzle brake. The BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) isn't just a muzzle brake. You move the nut up and down the end of the barrel to "tune" the barrel to the load you want to shoot. In the end Winchester and Browning started including a blank adapter that didn't have any ports on it. That way shooters like myself who were shooting a 243 didn't have the super loud blast that comes with a muzzle brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Tubb brake I posted up the thread is a tuner and brake, just like the Boss, I load up ammo looking for the lowest ES\SD and turn the Tubb brake to shrink the group, it works, try it. </div></div>

That is along the lines of what I'd like to find but without the ports. Browning offered two types of devices to screw onto the BOSS - one had ports and one didn't. I want the one that doesn't have ports as it's going on a hunting rig.

What I thought would be a fairly easy search for an aftermarket portless BOSS system isn't as simple as it could be. I think I'll just go find a used stainless Browning A-Bolt in 30-06, 300WM or 300 WSM and call it good.