• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Both eyes open?

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
With precision optics do you shoot with one or both eyes opened? With CCOs I've always shot with 2 eyes open.

Re: Both eyes open?

I'm right eye dominant and shooting support side it is VERY tough. Is it possible to train my eye to balance out?

Get a 22 rimfire trainer and just work on both eyes open training. Closing an eye is something you learn, you just have to break the bad habits with muscle memory and create new ones.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've trained myself over the last few months to focus with my right eye. I've just now started shooting with both eyes open. It's hard but you can do it! I'd highly recommend it.

I started off with a piece of duct tape on the left side of my safety glasses. I then moved to scotch tape. Just now, I'm able to focus with my right eye.

I also upgraded my optics and that seemed to help a helluva lot more than anything. I know it sounds stuck up, but good glass will probably help you.

I tried this last night with shooting pistol. That was pretty rough. I had a hard time.

I think you can do it and I certainly notice I no longer have headaches from closing one eye and squinting!

Goodluck!

Ok so let me get this right, yall are shooting scoped rifles with both eyes open? I've heard of this using pistols. but exactly whats the purpose of this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so let me get this right, yall are shooting scoped rifles with both eyes open? I've heard of this using pistols. but exactly whats the purpose of this? </div></div>

allows you to still have peripherial vision and with both eyes open its not straining your eyes as bad.

It really helps in acquiring targets quickly in a scope and tracking moving targets. In my case, it helps me not swing into a tree while hunting in the woods. It also helps be aware of surroundings near the shooter and the target and prevent a dangerous tunnel vision effect. A good analogy would be not driving with one eye open focused only on the center line in the road. Instead you drive both eyes open and using peripherals to see approaching dangers and see alternate routes while knowing what surrounds the vehicle at all times. You still maintain your course, even though you are not focused exclusively on the intended path.

once you get use to it you will never shoot anyother way.

Situational awareness is the main reason I was taught to shoot with both eyes open. It definitely also relieves eye fatigue.

When optics are involved eye dominance is factored out, everybody on the planet has an eye that is better than the other, adjust the scope to your eye, adjust the paralex for the target, and send it!

I don't need situational awareness and such but I keep both eyes open because:

It's fatiguing to keep one shut for any significant amount of time; even a half hour, much less all day, multidays.

My eyes want to do the same thing, so either my open eye starts to squint or my closed one starts to open up, and my pupils end up dilating and contracting in confusion.

What's the best way to check for parallax on a scope without parallax adjustments?

I think the best way is to move your eye around and see if the crosshairs move around the target. A scope without parallax adjustment has a specific distance in which it is perfect.

I'd say the only way to combat this is to have a consistant cheek-weld.

Both eyes open for me. I can only go about 20 minutes with one eye closed. I can shoot the whole day with both eyes open.

I have found that its way easier to start off at a lower magnification setting and work your way up during a given shooting session. Once you get used to it you can go directly to where you need to be. Once you go both eyes open you won't go back!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the best way is to move your eye around and see if the crosshairs move around the target. A scope without parallax adjustment has a specific distance in which it is perfect.
</div></div>

Can you explain this a little more?

If you move your eye slightly back and forth do you see the crosshairs move on the target? If so, your parallax is off.

FWIW, I read that in The Ultimate Sniper by Major John Plaster. It's a good book and you can buy it online used or thru the NRA for a reasonable price. Worth a read if you have the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you move your eye slightly back and forth do you see the crosshairs move on the target? If so, your parallax is off.

FWIW, I read that in The Ultimate Sniper by Major John Plaster. It's a good book and you can buy it online used or thru the NRA for a reasonable price. Worth a read if you have the chance. </div></div>

+1 on that book. Good read.

sorry to hijack but I cant look through binos with both eyes open I have to close one to focus. does any one else do this or is it just me

Is there anything in one of your lenses like crosshairs or range estimation? Are both sides focused the same? Do both sides focus independently? Any of these can mess with your brain a little. Or maybe one eye isn't quite as good as the other. If the difference is very slight the good eye will compensate until you are looking thru something that magnifies individually.

I have narrow eye spacing, so it's hard for me to use some binos. When the eye cups won't adjust close enough to get a full field of view from both sides, I have the same problem. I just use them like a monocular with my strong eye in that case. My varmint hunting binos fit me perfect and I use both eyes on them.

Note: The cheaper compacts are usually the ones that don't collapse close enough for my eye spacing.