• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom metal considerations?

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Application is for a general hunting rifle.

I know that there are proponents of having an ADL style blind magazine on a hunting rifle. Other than saving a few ounces, and keeping ammo safe & sound in the belly of the rifle, what is the benefit for going with an ADL style blind mag?

Similar questions for a BDL style, hinged floorplate. Is weight savings the main reason for choosing a factory BDL setup, over a DBM system? Ease of unloading? What is it that makes a BDL hinged floorplate the option to choose for a hunting rifle?

Where do either of these two 'factory' magazine setups benefit a hunting rifle, where a DBM system would not, or could not?

I been pondering these questions for some time and have drawn my own conclusions, but would welcome the chance to consider your opinions...

Thanks!

Thanks, EG. Ease of loading/unloading is a +, no doubt.

Maybe I should ask, from a different angle.
What are the potential shortcomings of using a DBM on a hunting rifle?

Only thing I can see, would be accidental contact with the mag release and dropping and/or losing a mag. But carrying the rifle unloaded is common sense safety & would basically solve that problem before it could happen.

Anyone have a DBM system on a hunting rifle and disliked it?

I would say it is easier to put a five round mag in instead of messing around with four loose rounds. Same for unloading. Ive always had BDL rifles, only one ADL and I hated it. Ive never had an issue with a mag dropping out un intentionally, in the woods or slung. I also dont use my rifle for a bulldozer tho.

Your factory Rem aluminum SA BDL setup weighs 4.448oz. An APA RTG with a five round AI mag weighs 8.512oz. So twice as heavy. A steel BDL is going to put you in the same 8oz range. Internal mag length for the BDL is 2.845"+/-, AI is 2.9" with the front spacer in the mag, add about .085" if you remove the spacer.

For me, ill take four extra oz. for the ease of use and longer COAL

I would say it is easier to put a five round mag in instead of messing around with four loose rounds. Same for unloading. Ive always had BDL rifles, only one ADL and I hated it. Ive never had an issue with a mag dropping out un intentionally, in the woods or slung. I also dont use my rifle for a bulldozer tho.

Your factory Rem aluminum SA BDL setup weighs 4.448oz. An APA RTG with a five round AI mag weighs 8.512oz. So twice as heavy. A steel BDL is going to put you in the same 8oz range. Internal mag length for the BDL is 2.845"+/-, AI is 2.9" with the front spacer in the mag, add about .085" if you remove the spacer.

Since you seem to know about the apa bottom metal, I'll ask. Do you know if it will fit a badger Inlet?

This echoes my deductive reasoning, thank you! Only difference being, a Surgeon DBM w. mag is just over 10 oz. And could use a Wyatt's extended mag box to negate the c.o.a.l. discrepancy from a BDL. Still, the DBM just seems to make sense...

Personally, I've found that you have to be a wee bit careful building a rifle with a DBM if you choose a barrel contour and length that are too small/short, as this can force the balance point of the rifle to somewhere at the magazine. Holding the rifle one-handed then becomes a bit more difficult. So for me, a DBM should stay off a flyweight rifle. Something with a larger #2 or a #3 and above should push the balance point in front of the mag (around the recoil lug) and be easier to manage.

For reference, this one was just about as small as I would go - a #2 Lilja contour at 23"

Last edited: