• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bottom Metal Education

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
I tried this in the reloading section without success.

I am building a new rifle: 300 Norma Mag, Mausingfield action. Manners EH5 stock.

My problem is I am hoping to run the Barnes 212 gr Bore Rider bullet with a 3.95 recommended COAL.

My preference is BDL for hunting but a five-round or flush fit magazine DBM also works.

The Remington long action BDL box seems to be 3.4 so that rules out both the standard Remington box and the Manners mini-chassis.

The Wyatt box seems to be 3.85.

The extended Wyatt box is 4.0 but requires action and bolt stop modification. Is that possible with a Mausingfield?

It also appears MDT makes a 4.0 five round magazine but I don’t know what bottom metal would make that magazine work with the Mausingfield.

I would appreciate some education.

Going down this rabbit hole also causes me to ask what are options for a short action for longer COAL than standard BDL or DBM.

Thank you for your help.

I tried this in the reloading section without success.

I am building a new rifle: 300 Norma Mag, Mausingfield action. Manners EH5 stock.

My problem is I am hoping to run the Barnes 212 gr Bore Rider bullet with a 3.95 recommended COAL.

My preference is BDL for hunting but a five-round or flush fit magazine DBM also works.

The Remington long action BDL box seems to be 3.4 so that rules out both the standard Remington box and the Manners mini-chassis.

The Wyatt box seems to be 3.85.

The extended Wyatt box is 4.0 but requires action and bolt stop modification. Is that possible with a Mausingfield?

It also appears MDT makes a 4.0 five round magazine but I don’t know what bottom metal would make that magazine work with the Mausingfield.

I would appreciate some education.

Going down this rabbit hole also causes me to ask what are options for a short action for longer COAL than standard BDL or DBM.

Thank you for your help.

The Mausingfield is good for 3.78 COAL, full stop. This is slightly longer than you can get from a CIP magazine, but you won’t be able to get it to feed with the Wyatt’s extended boxes.

Note that the open top Mausingfield supports BDL (i.e. has feed lips) and the closed top does not and must use a DBM.

I also don’t know exactly what the 4ish inch MDT magazine is for.

Short action with longer COAL is either single feed or jump to a Defiance or Lone Peak intermediate length (which are NOT interchangeable).

What is your 'recommended coal based on? Barnes website shows 3.845 which is probably based on a saami spec reamer

What is your 'recommended coal based on? Barnes website shows 3.845 which is probably based on a saami spec reamer

You are correct. 3.845 can be achieved with a Wyatt's box. Someone should be able to make it feed.

Otherwise a shorter than SAAMI reamer would work but I would lose case capacity.

The Wyatt's box would seem to be the answer to this question.

Last edited:
You are correct. 3.845 can be achieved with a Wyatt's box. Someone should be able to make it feed.

Otherwise a shorter than SAAMI reamer would work but I would lose case capacity.

The Wyatt's box would seem to be the answer to this question.

Talk to Chad at @LongRifles Inc. before you buy anything; he’s probably done more Mausingfield work than anyone outside ARC.

Talk to Chad at @LongRifles Inc. before you buy anything; he’s probably done more Mausingfield work than anyone outside ARC.

I just did. Erik actually. They recommend their own bottom metal and a magazine.

I haven't given up on BDL and making the Wyatt box work smoothly.

The Hawkins Hunter bottom metal is looking like a good second-best alternative.

now we just need some hawkins long action flush mags

Yup.

Was to be ready in time for SHOT. Reading between the lines I would say three to four months for the new bottom metal with three and five-round magazines. I would like 3.85 COAL but may need to settle for 3.75.

This may be worth waiting for.