• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom metal fit question

RobfromME

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2010
Bangor, Maine
Good afternoon, all,

I've inletted my Remage barreled action to my Bell & Carlson stock and it was a pretty standard inletting on top; no surprises. However, the PTG bottom metal is proud of the stock as shown on the attached picture. I can mill the areas of the front and rear pillar area and the bridge between the magazine well and trigger to lower it, however when the rest of the bottom is flush, the floor plate would still be proud by ~0.10" if not slightly more. I don't have an OEM Remington bottom metal for comparison, nor can I find one. Have any of you folks experienced something similar?

bottom metal gap (Large).jpg

Of note, functionally everything is fine...no issues. The magazine liner fits snug between the action and floor plate with about 0.015" clearance max. If I were to inlet the bottom of the stock to have the floor plate flush, the front and rear of the bottom metal would be recessed, and the magazine liner would need trimming down. This potentially opens a couple other cans of worms.

It's only a bit unsightly, not functional, but I was wondering who else may have experience with these parts and the fit up.

Thanks in advance for your interest and input!

Best,
Rob