• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom Metal for M5 Inletting. Badger or Hawkins or... Surgeon?

jw-usmc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2019
I have a 6.5 PRC build in play and my new Manners PRS1 was just delivered. The action is a Terminus Zeus with a Proof Carbon 24" and I was planning to purchase a Surgeon BM, but I am kicking myself because I did not double check the order that my builder placed and the stock is inletted for an M5.

Not the end of the world, but a change in plans for sure. So, I need your advice.

If cost is not a consideration in comparison, do you recommend I go with a Badger M5 Enhanced, a Hawkins Precision M5, or bite the bullet and have the stock cut and purchase a Surgeon?

To be honest, I don't love the giant barricade stop on the Badger, but I can get over it if the pros outweigh my vanity.

Thanks for the input.

No point in settling for something you really don’t want for your build...Have it put under the knife for the Surgeon and start counting the days...

Reactions: jw-usmc
I would go Surgeon or KMW. Both have that metal barricade guard at the front to protect the mag well and act as a barricade stop. The KMW has the nice design feature of having the bottom of the trigger guard slotted so that you can access trigger adjustments without removing your barreled action from the stock.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Surgeon from the start in a perfect world, but also want to avoid cutting if I can. Just means, can one of the others fit the bill?

Interesting add with the KMW, but again, I would have to Re-inlet so doesn't really fix the issue.

Per the Badger and Hawkins.

BADGER M5 ENHANCED:
  • Great company history
  • Quality construction, built like a tank
  • Ambi Mag Release built into guard
  • Extended "knurled" barricade stop (don't love it)
HAWKINS PRECISION M5 DBM
  • Design looks very similar to Surgeon, but in the M5 footprint.
  • Ambi paddle mag release - similar to Surgeon
  • Barricade stop design similar to Surgeon
  • Newer company/product and I can't find any reviews on the bottom metal nor have I used one.
  • Half the price, which leads me to question the build and quality without having reviews.

So, how does the Hawkins hold up in the real world?
Am I sacrificing anything by going with one or the other?
What would you run with?

FOR REFERENCE:

BADGER M5 ENHANCED

m5enhanced.jpeg

badgerenhanced.jpeg

Last edited:
Badger because I like Badger products overall and been using their legacy M5 since it came out with no issues whatsoever. have no experience with the Hawkins.

That said, why do you want to avoid cutting?

Im not familiar with the Manners PRS1. Is there some risk in addl inletting for the Surgeon? Perhaps not enough material to safely accommodate the larger footprint of the Surgeon or KMW?

Or is it simply a matter of getting the rig up an running as soon as possible (Cost still not a consideration, per post 1)?

I’m just curious as your initial post sought opinions on all three options, including the Surgeon (cost no object) while giving the impression that the Surgeon was your preferred choice.

I don't have experience with the Hawkins. Looks very similar to the Surgeon.

I had a McM A5 with a Badger M5 (not the enhanced). I didn't mind it. The mag release wasn't my favorite, I personally prefer a more "paddle" style then the slim profile of the Badger. I also didn't like that there was nothing to butt up against a barricade to protect the magazine, like the Surgeon.

I like the Surgeon DBM. The barricade stop, and the paddle mag release are nice. It's a well thought out and simple design.

In order to avoid a re-cut, if I was in your shoes I would be very tempted to go the Hawkins route. Functionally appears the same as the Surgeon DBM. I obviously can't speak to the quality of it since I've never had it, but hopefully others can chime in.

I have a Surgeon and a Hawkins on hand. Both are quality pieces and I see no functional difference between the two. The Surgeon finish is really matte, and the Hawkins a bit more semigloss. The machined edges on the Hawkins aren't radiuses as much and are a little sharper. The mag-well feels a little tighter on the Hawkins. Both releases work very well. The hawking is cheaper and fits the more common M5 inlet. Those things are the only differences that I see. I also have an original Badger M5 and an APA RTG. I think they are all great in their own way. Other than the design and location of the mag release and whether or not they have a barricade stop of sorts, it all comes down to aesthetics in my opinion.

isn't Hawkins like the standard for Foundation stocks?

i'd save that money and go hawkins all day.

typically reviews trend negative. the reason you dont see hawkins come up much is probably because they work

Badger because I like Badger products overall and been using their legacy M5 since it came out with no issues whatsoever. have no experience with the Hawkins.

That said, why do you want to avoid cutting?

Im not familiar with the Manners PRS1. Is there some risk in addl inletting for the Surgeon? Perhaps not enough material to safely accommodate the larger footprint of the Surgeon or KMW?

Or is it simply a matter of getting the rig up an running as soon as possible (Cost still not a consideration, per post 1)?

I’m just curious as your initial post sought opinions on all three options, including the Surgeon (cost no object) while giving the impression that the Surgeon was your preferred choice.

The PRS1 has the elite carbon shell, so am just cautious about having it cut up from what Manners already milled out and finished. The Surgeon is slightly larger in pretty much all directions so it would be a decent job, especially trying to deliver at the factory quality level.

One option is to send it back and have it inletted by Manners, but aside from the cost I have no idea what the lead time would be. Already waited 6-months for the stock as is.

Makes sense. Good luck with the project, sound like it will be a sweet rig when all done.

I have a Hawkins as well. Poly 308 mags don’t drop when they’re fully loaded, but that’s the only “issue” I’ve run into.

Thanks for the replies. May be leaning towards the Hawkins with its similarities to the Surgeon.

Seems like the only "slight" drawback for the Hawkins is finish quality. Not quite as refined per edge radius and finish application. Any Hawkins owners have any problems with finish wearing or corrosion?

Thanks for the replies. May be leaning towards the Hawkins with its similarities to the Surgeon.

Seems like the only "slight" drawback for the Hawkins is finish quality. Not quite as refined per edge radius and finish application. Any Hawkins owners have any problems with finish wearing or corrosion?

No problems with either finish or corrosion.

I’ve run Hawkins on two rifles for almost 3 years. they have been great. If there was a con it would be that the release is a little stiff on mine, but nothing that would stop me from buying them. Ive run them with all sorts of different mags. Both rifles haven’t had feeding or magazine problems.