• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom Metal Help

nooch2222

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Arizona
I purchased Bottom metal for my Bighorn origin action form another forum, and when i went to install the action to the stock i noticed the screws were to long and that the holes in the bottom metal had been drill out a bit which was causing the front screw to hit the bolt. Any suggestions on what i could do before i need to take it to a smith? I will post pictures soon. Thank you

Pictures

Attachments

• 20210421_162421.jpg
    20210421_162421.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210421_162417.jpg
    20210421_162417.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210421_162427.jpg
    20210421_162427.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 81
I'm going to take a stab at it but it looks like maybe they drilled the action screw holes to accommodate socket head cap screws instead of the typical BDL action screw.

Reactions: Rob01
What bottom metal?

Also fuck that seller

But you could just cut the bolts
Remington 700 bottom metal.. Yeah I thought about cutting the screws but I don't want to jack up the threads on the action. Would some type of washer work?

Buy same thread nuts. Put 2 on screw get past where you need to cut. Cut. Take the nuts off to clean up threads. What's the thread count? If common you can use wire strippers (and if too hard to cut that way thread into wire stripper, mount wire stripper in vise, cut with angle grinder unread bot from wire stripper) clean up burs with a steel brush maybe a touch with dremel might be necessary.
Or buy shorter screws.

Buy same thread nuts. Put 2 on screw get past where you need to cut. Cut. Take the nuts off to clean up threads. What's the thread count? If common you can use wire strippers (and if too hard to cut that way thread into wire stripper, mount wire stripper in vise, cut with angle grinder unread bot from wire stripper) clean up burs with a steel brush maybe a touch with dremel might be necessary.
Or buy shorter screws.
I'll give that a try. I'd rather buy shorter screws but haven't found any yet.

Just cut them. It’s easy and takes about 5 minutes. Take the bolt out and torque them in and then count the threads that need to be cut off and pull the bolts out and cut them. It’s simple and you will get them set so you have full bolt to thread contact.

Reactions: Whhood
Just cut them. It’s easy and takes about 5 minutes. Take the bolt out and torque them in and then count the threads that need to be cut off and pull the bolts out and cut them. It’s simple and you will get them set so you have full bolt to thread contact.
Yeah seems like cutting will be my only option. Thank you

I'm going to take a stab at it but it looks like maybe they drilled the action screw holes to accommodate socket head cap screws instead of the typical BDL action screw.
Agreed.

If you look close, the countersinks are so deep (especially on the back bolt hole) that the remaining material is far too thin. If you torque this bottom metal down against anything but a side and solid pillar face with small dia. through hole, the head of the bolt will swage out and deform the remaining bottom material. The OEM bottom metal for BDLs is made from a cheap ass aluminum casting that is already prone to cracking and deformation so I would not expect much from this altered one.

./

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah I think I got screwed on this purchase! I'm just going to buy a new bottom metal so I don't run into any problems in the future. Thank you guys for your help

BDL long action
I have several in perfect condition that are collecting dust. They are un-altered factory OEM. Aluminum with matte grey surface as came on the stainless M700 Senderos.

20210422_204754.jpg

If this is what you need and if you are interested in one, email me ([email protected] ) your name and address.
I will get one on the way to you tomorrow AM. No chg.

If you want, I can send you all 3.
You can put the best one on your rifle.
You can sell the 2nd one for the same price you bought your screwed up one for and break even on $.
You can sell the 3rd one, go on Amazon and order a bag of dicks or envelope of glitter to send to the ass hat that sold you the fucked up one you bought.

./

I have several in perfect condition that are collecting dust. They are un-altered factory OEM. Aluminum with matte grey surface as came on the stainless M700 Senderos.

View attachment 7610236
If this is what you need and if you are interested in one, email me ([email protected] ) your name and address.
I will get one on the way to you tomorrow AM. No chg.

If you want, I can send you all 3.
You can put the best one on your rifle.
You can sell the 2nd one for the same price you bought your screwed up one for and break even on $.
You can sell the 3rd one, go on Amazon and order a bag of dicks or envelope of glitter to send to the ass hat that sold you the fucked up one you bought.

./
Email sent. This is just awesome thank you.