• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom metal that works with long action AI AX magazines??

unclemoak

d.wilson mfg
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2008
Englewood, CO
www.dwilsonmfg.com
Call me crazy, but I have an interest in building a long action .308/6.5/.260 that use detachable mags and like the double stack nature of the AI AX magazine, but am not sure if there is bottom metal out there that will work with the AX style mags.

Does such a thing exist?

AI AX .300 WM 10rd mag:

74203F49C7B3CD1CBF54A745288418CCB08BBA92.jpg

If you're talking about long action using the AXMC 300WM or Lapua mags and trying to run a 308 through them it won't work for several reasons. Those mags require a wide flat bottom action thus the big AI action and then feeding a 308 out of Win Mag magazine. There are many short actions that will take the AI double stack 308 mags. I have one as well as any of the other action manufacturers and custom rifle smiths.

If you're talking about long action using the AXMC 300WM or Lapua mags and trying to run a 308 through them it won't work for several reasons. Those mags require a wide flat bottom action thus the big AI action and then feeding a 308 out of Win Mag magazine. There are many short actions that will take the AI double stack 308 mags. I have one as well as any of the other action manufacturers and custom rifle smiths.

The problem with short action double stack AI mags is your still limited on COAL by the magazine.