• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bottom metal??

3blackdogs

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
stuck in NY
How do you decide on bottom metal choices? Chassis? Cartridge? Action? Clip size?

I am putting together my first bolt gun. I am doing it in 6 gt. 737 action MPA chassis. Looking for some help in bottom metal and 5 and 10 round clip choices for trouble free feeding.
sorry Mag... clip was fist thing that came to mind...
Thanks

Last edited:
How do you decide on bottom metal choices? Chassis? Cartridge? Action? Clip size?

I am putting together my first bolt gun. I am doing it in 6 gt. 737 action MPA chassis. Looking for some help in bottom metal and 5 and 10 round clip choices for trouble free feeding.

Thanks
Mpa being a chassis has the bottom metal integral to it. You don’t need to add on to it.

Not sure on bottom metal for the chassis, didn’t think it was a question as most have the stuff milled in. I shoot my 308 impact using ASIC mags and mostly use 5 round ( but have couple 10s which do extend down a lot). And you getting razzed because the proper term is magazine. Clips secure things together, magazines house things.

• Love
Reactions: 3blackdogs
ok thanks. I've learned something everyday. Makes sense. so doe the MDT have it integral also?
Yep, most every chassis will.

The one exception I can think of being a manners light hunting stocks (not really a true chassis) with their “bdl mini chassis” that makes it not mag fed but their normal mini chassis has the bottom metal built in too.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I pick a cartridge that is simple to load for which has the capability to fulfill the rifle's purpose.

For me:
Matches: 6BR or 243 Win(FTC)
Hunting: 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 Win

Actions: Prefit Compatible with toolless removal of the firing pin assembly and integral or pinned scope base; would be my basic guideline.

6GT is a good choice, just don't skimp on barrel quality. I've chambered a lot of them for match rifles; it can get the job done.

All chassis have bottom metal built into the chassis. (or all that I've ever seen)

Stocks need a separate bottom metal for the magazine release mechanism. if going with a stock you need to choose a magazine that will support the cartridge you chose and then the appropriate bottom metal to accept that mag and then have the stock inlet for that bottom metal.