• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bottom metal

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
How Hard is it to put in the detachable mags bottom mtal made by Badger and ACIS? Would it be a project that i could do on my own or should i send it off. I have limited armor skills from the Air Force but not a gun smith.

Re: Bottom metal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPEYECOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have limited armor skills from the Air Force but not a gun smith.</div></div>

I would send it out then.

Not hard at all, I did it and had to shim but total time was about 1 1/2 hour.

AICS stock has DBM built in, no fitting needed.

Badger DBM there are mixed experiences, some have not had a problem installing it themselves, and others had problems. What stock do you have? If you don't have one yet and you're looking into McMillan or Manners, you have order it with Badger inlet and it should be a doable DIY job.

Save your money and get a Manners/Mcmillian thats already cut for the D.B.M. Or aleast get a B&C tactical and get a smith to cut it for you.

If you go with CDI precision bottom metal he will inlet for $50 and do a perfect job. I do alot of my own stuff but after doing one bottom metal I sent the other one out to Jeff.

+1 to what were said... Don't spend the money to inlet your factory sps stock for bottom metal; it is just not worth it.

I plan to get a B&C light tac stock and have Jeff at CDI inlet it for his bottom metal for a budget build.

Pete thats exactly what I did, cerakote is curing on both right now and Im sitting at $450 for the finished stock. For my needs that sure beats $500 for the stock and another $300 for bottom metal.

Phoenix and Pete thanks for the info. I think I will go that route with a Bell & Carlson. I checked out CDI web site and found that they are very reasonable on the work they do.

Small hijack here, but since we're on the subject.

I didn't know CDI made bottom metal until a few days ago. It looks very similar to the Badger M5. Are the footprints of each different, and if so, in what way??

CM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete thats exactly what I did, cerakote is curing on both right now and Im sitting at $450 for the finished stock. For my needs that sure beats $500 for the stock and another $300 for bottom metal. </div></div>

Apologies to the OP for another hijack, but Norcal would you mind posting some pics post ceracoat? Thanks in advance!

I had the same thought process as you... I could either get an AICS or McRee for a drop in solution, a McMillan or Manners + bottom metal + pillar & skim bedding, or the B&C + CDI + skim bedding at the cheapest. I am going with the latter...
smile.gif
I will have to open up the barrel channel on the Light Tac a bit but I can do that plus bedding on my own to save even more cost.

Oh and may need to add a Karsten to the B&C but that is another DIY project.

Im out of town right now but I will shoot you a PM with the photo next week.

Here are some shots of the light tactical running the CDI bottom metal. There is a little room at the front and back based on the radius of the stock but its purely cosmetic. If I was feeling really anal about it Im sure it would take about 5 minutes to make everything perfect. $450 is a tough deal to beat for a good stock with some excellent bottom metal fitted. This fit job was $50 from Jeff at CDI.

golf111.jpg

golf113.jpg

golf114.jpg