• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought a 7mm BR

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Bought a Remington 700 action(dates to the 90's). Barrel is a 24" Shilen chambered in 7BR. I feel this caliber died way back when. Found some new Peterson 7mm br brass. Went out to sight in with 8208 and 110gr tnt and wow im pressed under 1/2 inch groups right out the gate. Having an issue with the bolt not grabbing the spent case and ejecting the round. I have heard of ejector issues but not extractor issues. Anyone know of a fix? Out of the rifles i have i havent had this issue.
20230618_204249.jpg

Best answer to Remington 700 extractor issues is to have a Sako style extractor installed on the bolt. Takes a gunsmith with a bit of skill but very doable and quite reliable.

The 7BR still sees some use in IHMSA. I owned an XP-100 in that caliber for some time. I still have a box of Remington factory 7BR loaded ammunition. As well as some Remington Basic SRP 308 brass specifically made to be formed into 7BR cases. It was quite a process and the dies were hardly inexpensive, especially in the early 1980’s. So much of a problem it was that many of the early XP’s were rechambered in 7mm IHMSA which was based on 300 Savage brass.

I think if you look hard enough, finding runs of 7BR brass are available. Won’t be cheap, but its around, just keep looking. If you can find any, SR-4759 makes outstanding medium loads with a 150 Grain Sierra Match King.

Reactions: lash
I’ve had to replace the $.08 extractor on every one of my 700’s at some point. They’re cheap and fairly easy to replace. Or do what the one other guy said and upgrade your bolt to the sako/mini m16/m16 styles and be done with it.

I’ve had to replace the $.08 extractor on every one of my 700’s at some point. They’re cheap and fairly easy to replace. Or do what the one other guy said and upgrade your bolt to the sako/mini m16/m16 styles and be done with it.
Do you have a link to the 8 cent extractors ? that is one hell of a price .

• Haha
Reactions: lash and BJames
The extractor is loose. Guess i need to figure out how hard it is to replace lol