• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought a bedded stock

ta2dtrent

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
Lago Vista, Tx
I bought a used B&C stock for my Rem 700 that had already been bedded for the same kind of action. Do I need to re-bed for my action or will it be close enough.

Re: Bought a bedded stock

FWIW, the usual fit of a standard Remington action in a B&C stock is good but not perfect. This is due to manufacturing deviations in both the action and the stock. Accordingly, I would bed the stock specifically to my action (as I'm having done with mine). YMMV.

FH

Yeah it will work. But for best performance u will want to bed it to your action/barrel. But u can shoot it first if it shoots good enough for u then rock it.

The correct answer is to re-bed it to your own action, but heck take it out and shoot it. Check for stringing, grouping, if your barrel is still free floated after warming the barrel up, etc.

You could even shoot it, then if you don't like it, skim bed it, shoot it again, and if it doesn't improve, then go hog out material and bed it.

With a Dremel that's more of a pain in the ass than with a bridgeport.

Just got a used stock that has been bedded. Put the action in it and the bolt was difficult to open, so I got out the Dremel and got it right down to the bedding block. Put the action back in and the bolt was harder to open. WTF!! Then the lightbulb went on. Filed the front action screw down about 1 thread and it works fine. At least now I have to rebed it.

I agree that the right answer is to rebed it. Who knows how good or bad the existing bedding was for the action that was in it...not to mention that it can't be perfect for your action. The other side of the coin is that if it was properly bedded before, it may well be better than the sum of the other parts as is. That's not a slam on your gun...just that I don't know how well it shot before or your expectations.--Mike