• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought a new Remington 700 and....

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
Inboxes it to find a scratched muzzle and a crooked lug
Should I see if the shop will take care of it or is it my baby to send back to Remington - and how long might that take?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15
I wouldn't worry about the muzzle, it doesn't appear to be any damage to the crown itself. The crooked lug can definitely present a problem though. I'd take it to a Remington repair facility if you have one near you and have the lug straightened.

What would it cost to have this fixed by a gunsmith. I haven't had a chance to call the gunshop yet. If they just loosen the barrel and fix the lug / retighten does headspace change?

The muzzle scratches are not likely to present a problem.

The crooked lug can be corrected with a few taps from a soft-faced hammer (a large brass or lead mallet works best).

Unfortunately, I've seen these problems on the last few new R700s that I've purchased.

Full marks for checking and inspecting the rifle.

Remember: With a factory Remington, YOU are the quality control.

Now you can either send it back or put more money into it.

... Which discourages the idea of shopping a factory rifle on price alone. So, better yet, send it back, call Mile High and snap-up an AE before they're all gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Do not fire it. Take it back to the store and demand a refund or a replacement. They bought a bunk product from Remington and sold it to you. You do not have to accept mediocre.

Looks like Remington is becoming the new Colt.

You have to buy them and have them drop shipped to a reputable gunsmith just to make them "right".

Bought a new Remington 700 and....

I like that idea: Don't use it. Box it back up, take it back, and revoke your acceptance of the rifle.

Then spend the money you need to spend to acquire a quality rifle that isn't fucked-up when it's new in the box.

Most people don't know any better. Now you do.

Last edited:
Here's what can happen:

People can keep buying and accepting the lemons Remington is putting out. Now I am in no way saying all Remingtons made are junk, but they are starting to show a trend which is what IS important. If people buy them and get a lemon, and do not raise holy hell but instead ship it off to get "fixed", then the lemons will keep coming.

Raise hell about them.

Either that or other makers within the price range will step in and push Remington aside. Happened to Colt with their 1911 lines and their SAA lines.

Make Remington make them right in the 1st place through constant complaining and returns of sub par products. It's to the point I don't buy custom guns made with "trued" Remington actions anymore. I won't support a company that sells you an action for $450.00 that needs another $450.in custom work to get to the point of a $975.00 Stiller or other action.

Moral of the story: Don't support poor manufacturing processes, and if Remington keeps it up then other manufacturers will push them away. Another example of a company this happened to is Marlin...

The things is for every lemon they put out they also make a dozen solid rifles. Is it right that these rifles go out the door like this? Absolutely not. I've easily bought 60-70 Remington products and all but a couple were perfect. One was a complete cluster fuck with tight headspace, fucked crown, and crooked receiver mounts, basically everything that could go wrong did, then I had another with crooked receiver holes. Other than that they were all shooters and for $400-900. My track record with Savage thus far is much worse and I've only had about a dozen or so of them, the majority of which had problems.

The OP's rifle isn't bad at all, it shouldn't have shipped like that, but it's an easy fix. Until something better comes along people can buy for a weeks pay at burger boy wages that you can slap in a $200 stock and have a good rifle then people are going to keep buying Remington's and Savages. Even then people will still buy them, look at people still buying Leupolds, IOR's, and Vortex's after all the problems they've had.

The op's rifle is Bad. He shouldn't have to do any fixes to a product he slapped down his hard earned money for. Plain and simple.

That's like buying a brand new truck and the motor blows on the way out of the lot, and you pony up the money to fix it. That shit is for the birds.

Stocks, bottom metal, new barrels, etc are all personal choices you make after buying the product. When you buy a rifle that is out of spec, you are then forced to make money consuming corrections. Fuck that.

Do not fire it. Take it back to the store and demand a refund or a replacement. They bought a bunk product from Remington and sold it to you. You do not have to accept mediocre.

Looks like Remington is becoming the new Colt.

You have to buy them and have them drop shipped to a reputable gunsmith just to make them "right".

LOL. Becoming? Remington has been doing this shit for ATLEAST 20 years. If you want a good 700, buy one that's 30 years old. Same goes for 870's.

Here's what can happen:

People can keep buying and accepting the lemons Remington is putting out. Now I am in no way saying all Remingtons made are junk, but they are starting to show a trend which is what IS important. If people buy them and get a lemon, and do not raise holy hell but instead ship it off to get "fixed", then the lemons will keep coming.

Raise hell about them.

Either that or other makers within the price range will step in and push Remington aside. Happened to Colt with their 1911 lines and their SAA lines.

Make Remington make them right in the 1st place through constant complaining and returns of sub par products. It's to the point I don't buy custom guns made with "trued" Remington actions anymore. I won't support a company that sells you an action for $450.00 that needs another $450.in custom work to get to the point of a $975.00 Stiller or other action.

Moral of the story: Don't support poor manufacturing processes, and if Remington keeps it up then other manufacturers will push them away. Another example of a company this happened to is Marlin...

They have . Tikka blows them away, and is generally cheaper. Been that way for years. Winchester/FN is also GTG.

I would agree with the statements in this thread for the most part, however I have not gotten a bad gun from remington yet. I know if you get something from the custom shop the quality is very high. I got one of the M24 rebuilds and it is flawless.

They have . Tikka blows them away, and is generally cheaper. Been that way for years. Winchester/FN is also GTG.

We get it, you bought a tikka and a KRG and spent as much money on it as you could have gotten a nicer AIAE for and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Regardless of what you think, Tikka doesn't offer rifles comparable to the R700's. Since they've supposedly discontinued the varmints you can get a pencil barrel rifle for $600 that will start throwing shots after a few rounds, or you can pay $1500 for a sporter with fugly ass stock and the same shitty magazine system. If Tikka was importing their varmint and scout and it was a comparable price to a Remington 700 and had the aftermarket availability of upgrades then it might compare. All they've got is one B&C sporter stock, manners and mcmillans which are much more expensive, the KRG and Rhoedale which are even more expensive and aside from the KRG and Rhoedale the only other option for a decent mag system is CDI. Aftermarket is a joke for them and IMO they need it every bit as much or more than Remington.

For the record I bought two Winchester featherweight 270's trying to get one that would shoot acceptably and couldn't, they were 3-4MOA guns. The pre 64 is a great action but there barrels suck dick, FN is a different story though, mine were all shooters but no better of a shooter than any heavy barrel Remington I've had.

We get it, you bought a tikka and a KRG and spent as much money on it as you could have gotten a nicer AIAE for and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Stop feeding the troll. He was violated in the rectum by a post-64 Remington and now must troll every thread he can find that has the word in it. Obviously, The pencil-thin Tikka barrel inserts much easier into an unlubricated taint than a fat Remington barrel.

Easy. Send it to Remington and have them fix it.

And that way they know about the issues.

kinda reminds me of that old aamco transmission commercial, we have experts working on our cars, all it is , a bunch of chimps beating a transmission with wiffle bats

more and more stories like this from rem, dissapointing

Rems are not all that, had a 50/50 good/garbage ratio on NUMEROUS NEW 700/7 rifles over the years, I ALWAYS looking elsewhere first. QC and attitude is Unacceptable.

Many options. Experience a bolt handle falling off and that will seal the deal for one's consideration of Rem.

If anybodies got an LTR, VSSF or 5R they dont want and the barrel's not shot out....I'll give $100 for the POS, a truck load if ya got'em. Oh, and I dont give a shit if they even have scratches on the crown. ;)

okie

Well looks like I opened a can of worms here :)
Shop is taking care of me - they did mention however
That the next one may or may not be straighter - got my fingers crossed

Here's what can happen:

Raise hell about them.

Another $450 in work is a bit of a stretch. I just paid my smith $300 to chamber, true, and install a bolt knob. You still have to chamber if you start with a stiller. I own a couple of them, and my 700's hang with the stillers.

Installing a new stock on my AAC-SD and took the action off the Tupperware this morning to find the recoil lug as it should be and symmetrical wear marks at both pillars and rear of the lug.

Seems somehow, and I know this sounds crazy, Remington got it right.

No regrets here.

Well got my gun back today - everything is good
While at the shop I see another regular sporter barrel sps there
I decided to buy it (new) and I get it home only to see it also has a crooked lug
Blow my brains out

Well after closing the bolt on my just replaced sps v I noticed that it was firing
Here is what the trigger screw was like from factory - set too loose to catch the firing pin
What a freaking joke!!!

Under the bolt knob looks to be a QR code see second pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
When my M700 varmint arrived the safety was broken and Remington said they would fix it, but I would have to pay to ship it and wait 6-8 weeks for the repair to be made. I just bought another trigger for it.

I still have the factory trigger with the broken safety if you want it you can swap your safety to this trigger and not have to deal with Remington. Let me know and I will get it in the mail.

I haven't seen too bad of rems but it seems like people on the hide seem to get bad rems like its christmas. I haven't had a bad rifle from them only because I only got 1 :). But it got 60rnds down it before rebarreled. I think they're not too bad just inspect your rifle as much as you can before taking it home.

Thanks for the trigger offer - I plan to put a timney on it - or swap it out with the one I am sending back due to the crooked lug.
Dang I am a defect magnet!

Well after closing the bolt on my just replaced sps v I noticed that it was firing
Here is what the trigger screw was like from factory - set too loose to catch the firing pin
What a freaking joke!!!

The screw on the trigger itself only has limited impact on trigger pull; on any factory X-Mark Pro I've see, it can be backed out all the way with virtually no effect. If the sear isn't catching the cocking piece, then either the adjustments on the trigger body got messed with at some point (check to see that the factory sealant is still present on the sear engagement and pull weight screws), or something is severely out-of-spec or broken.

Send this thing back to Remington, and make 'em pay for shipping. This is totally unacceptable on a factory gun, and the factory needs to be held accountable. They aren't going to get the point if you eat the cost of fixing everything yourself.

Under the bolt knob looks to be a QR code see second pic

Yep, that's standard on newer R700s. I'd love to know what information is contained within ;)