• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought a new Sig Cross

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
and it's absolute fucking trash! I just felt the need to tell some body. Picked up the 16" 308 at the local gun store the other day. Me and a buddy went and had a few beers at lunch and then went to the local gun store to pick out a deer rifle for his boy for Christmas and I saw the sig, it was the first of these I have seen and I know I should have done some research before buying it. I thought man, if it will even shoot MOA that would be one handy little rifle, just a grab and go kind of deer or coyote rig.
I spent 3 hours at the range today, did the "break in" and then proceeded to try load after load. Some of these are loads that were one hole loads in my AI. I tried 155's, 168's, 178's and even some 110gr. It spewed rounds everywhere. It would group a couple and then throw 2 or 3 more 2" away from them. Anyway, everything else about it is all right, it just doesn't shoot worth a fuck, and if it was a $500 rifle I wouldn't be surprised, but for $1700 I would expect a bit more.

Reactions: Harman117
I bought the exact same rifle about a month ago, and it’s easily a 1” gun with the two types of ammo I tried (115 reloads and 175 FGMM. Of course, I didn’t bother with any “break-in” because that’s a bunch of nonsense. And I didn’t shoot 300 rounds in a single range trip. That would also be nonsense, since the barrel is pretty light.

It’s a whole lot harder to shoot well than an AI for sure.

I'm guessing something is loose or it might even be a bad barrel. I tried troubleshooting a new AR that was anything but cheap and it turned out to have a brand new shitty barrel according to the manufacturer. If it were me, I'd take it all the way apart, clean everything and assemble it properly.

I'm guessing something is loose or it might even be a bad barrel. I tried troubleshooting a new AR that was anything but cheap and it turned out to have a brand new shitty barrel according to the manufacturer. If it were me, I'd take it all the way apart, clean everything and assemble it properly.
I‘d go back and shoot my AI

Reactions: EastBayRidge

This ^. And if that doesn't correct it, inspect the chamber, muzzle, bolt head, extractor, etc., for anomalies. If you can't resolve it Sig has very good warranty service.

Reactions: 912173
I'm guessing something is off, as said above. Go through it and look for something.

Mine shoots good for a factory rifle with factory ammo. I have only tried 1 kind and it's definitely sub-moa.

Edit: I just read that the loads were developed for your AI. You Definitely owe it to the rifle to try some factory ammo or develop a load for the cross. I've rarely had 1 load work in multiple rifles.

One of the loads I tried was for my AI. I tried about 6 different loads in total. I will agree it is harder to shoot than the AI, but this shit was far beyond a random flyer here and there. I'm gonna give it another try. I have a buddy who has one and swears it is a .5 gun right out of the box. Believe me, I want it to shoot. I have a range like 10 min down the road so I will have plenty of opportunity to try some different stuff. I am gonna try some different powders tomorrow and see how that works.

Have you visually inspected the rifle at all? I'd do that before potentially wasting more time and ammo.

I‘d go back and shoot my AI
You have no idea how bad I wish I had not sold that AI. I am most likely gonna have Clayton at WTO build me a switch barrel. I have one of his switch barrel set ups on a lone peak fusion TI with a 338 lapua Ackley improved barrel and a 300 norma, as well as a 21" 338 lapua barrel and that thing is amazing. I just picked up a greyboe terrain from a guy, I think I'll just buy one of Claytons actions and have him build me a rig on that.

My buddy has a 6.5 creed and it will shoot just over 1/2 with American Gunner. Something doesn’t sound right. As far as Clayton and WTO you can’t go wrong he has always put together hammers for me.

Yeah I checked the scope base and the thread protector and all that. There was nothing I could find obviously wrong. I checked as soon as I noticed it was grouping really wildly.

anecdotally, I haven't seen a one of their folders that will lock up tight. Steering away for that reason

My folder locks up tight when deployed. There is vertical play when folded. But has to do with the design since the stock slides up to pivot.

Although you should keep in mind the price point and understand that it cost less then some chassis'

Reactions: Milf Dots
You will find a good load the cross is an awesome rifle I purchased a 6.5 and was so impressed I went back and got a 308 They both shoot awesome!.My folders lock up tight on both rifles! I dont shoot factory ammo.

anecdotally, I haven't seen a one of their folders that will lock up tight. Steering away for that reason
Mine has a slight rattle in the folding mechanism, but as soon as I shoulder the gun any pressure makes that go away... it's not an issue in actual use.

As far as accuracy, perhaps the OP got one with a problem. That's a bummer and hopefully Sig will take care of it quickly. As for general shootability, it seems lots of people are expecting these things to shoot like match rifles... they're not match rifles. A 6.5 pound hunting rifle is going to take a different approach, I've found that whether I'm using a tripod or a bipod, or even shooting off a bag I need to make sure I'm using preload on the rifle to help "anchor" it or when I'm shooting off a bag I need to use my other hand with a firmer grip around the handguard to hold it firmly. In my experience the rifle does not like to be shot free-recoil or with only a light hold.

This was setting up my friends cross in 6.5cm. First 6 rounds through it BTW. The group on the left is 120amax and the group on the right is 143gr ELD-X. It was the reason I went out and bought one.

20211014_142930.jpg

I settled on this load for hunting last year after a little rushed load development.

IMG_20200824_104226283~01.jpg

Here are a few other OCWs that I started and didn't finish before swapping a 6.5 barrel in, maybe something here will help give a starting place. Honestly with the type of groups you mentioned, and if you verified everything is tight, it sounds like something is fucky with the barrel and it might need to go back.

IMG_20200824_104018250~01.jpg
IMG_20200824_103657776~01.jpg

there is probably something loose like everybody else is saying. Ive shot several for demos for work and they were all .5" rifles. All 308 for some local swat guys. have you adjusted the trigger? Try some factory ammo and take it from there.

Again, go to the main cross thread, his new reloads solved his issue

Reactions: Milf Dots
Here is the OP's newest post from the main Sig Cross discussion thread where he solved the problem- an ammo issue:

Well it's looking a hell of a lot better than it was. I tried some CFE223 and the old standard 44gr of Varget. This is with LC brass and CCI 34 primers. There a 3 groups with 3 different loads at 400yds. 2 of them are definitely under MOA. I have never seen a rifle go from shooting that bad to grouping like this like that. I'm going to switch to some CCI BR2 or 210M and stay with the varget and maybe even try some new Winchester brass or lapua and see if I can clean it up even moreView attachment 7756456View attachment 7756459View attachment 7756460

Yeah it's a good bit better, it's not any .5 or anything but definitely better than it was. I think it may be a legit .75 rifle if I tune up the reloads a little better. This was with LC brass and CCI 34. Nosler 168CC and varget. The larger groups was 47gr of CFE. The 2 smaller ones were 44 and 44.5 of Varget. These groups were at 400yd. Except the small one there. That was 100yd with 47gr of CGE but it was a little too warm. Had a little click at the top of the bolt lift. With both 44 and 44.5 of varget shooting good I loaded some for tomorrow with 44.3 in both LC brass and also some Nammo, lapuas version of 7.62 and I'll try that tomorrow morning. I was very surprised at the turn around it has made. There is 3 groups on the 400yd target and 2 of them are definitely sub MOA.
Message_1638990392301.jpg
20211208_122307.jpg

Attachments

• 20211208_124756.jpg
    20211208_124756.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 58
I bought the exact same rifle about a month ago, and it’s easily a 1” gun with the two types of ammo I tried (115 reloads and 175 FGMM. Of course, I didn’t bother with any “break-in” because that’s a bunch of nonsense. And I didn’t shoot 300 rounds in a single range trip. That would also be nonsense, since the barrel is pretty light.

It’s a whole lot harder to shoot well than an AI for sure.
" I didn’t bother with any “break-in” because that’s a bunch of nonsense." Brother, I could not have said this better. Five Stars....

and it's absolute fucking trash! I just felt the need to tell some body. Picked up the 16" 308 at the local gun store the other day. Me and a buddy went and had a few beers at lunch and then went to the local gun store to pick out a deer rifle for his boy for Christmas and I saw the sig, it was the first of these I have seen and I know I should have done some research before buying it. I thought man, if it will even shoot MOA that would be one handy little rifle, just a grab and go kind of deer or coyote rig.
I spent 3 hours at the range today, did the "break in" and then proceeded to try load after load. Some of these are loads that were one hole loads in my AI. I tried 155's, 168's, 178's and even some 110gr. It spewed rounds everywhere. It would group a couple and then throw 2 or 3 more 2" away from them. Anyway, everything else about it is all right, it just doesn't shoot worth a fuck, and if it was a $500 rifle I wouldn't be surprised, but for $1700 I would expect a bit more.
A friend of mine has that rifle in 65 Needmore and it shoots very well