• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought Armalite Handgard for DPMS style

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
Am I the only one to make this error? This is my first large frame AR and I thought I was getting a deal on an older style JP rail. Come to find out when it arrive that it wouldn’t thread onto my upper. Turns out that’s because it’s not compatible. Hopefully this is my last sad tale and the last mistake that I make. Could have been worse I suppose.

Be careful, LR308 has two rail heights so you can mismatch that too.

I like to fully match on receivers and handguards for a large frame AR.

A nice setup for not much money is the Aero M5E1 enhanced upper with matching free float tube. The barrel nut is inverted and the free float tube attachment is super stiff without weighing too much. Put it on an Aero M5E1 lower and everything will fit nicely. Get the Aero LPK too.

A cheaper option is to go with a DPMS aluminum free float tube. It has the right threads on the barrel nut and no rail to mismatch. It's a bit heavy and plain, I wouldn't do it again...

Be careful, LR308 has two rail heights so you can mismatch that too.

I like to fully match on receivers and handguards for a large frame AR.

A nice setup for not much money is the Aero M5E1 enhanced upper with matching free float tube. The barrel nut is inverted and the free float tube attachment is super stiff without weighing too much. Put it on an Aero M5E1 lower and everything will fit nicely. Get the Aero LPK too.

A cheaper option is to go with a DPMS aluminum free float tube. It has the right threads on the barrel nut and no rail to mismatch. It's a bit heavy and plain, I wouldn't do it again...

I tried to do my first large frame on the cheap. I buy a few parts here and there and planned to assemble when I had everything. I went with palmetto state upper and lower as their AR15 stuff has been good for me. I’m hoping that the JP MK III matches up with my gas port. I bought the wrong one on eBay. Should have known it wasn’t going to work for the price! I found the one that I want on OpticsPlanet. Seems silly that there isn’t a standard for the AR10 platform.

Yeah, AR10 died so there is no real Mil Spec. Maybe KAC disagrees but so far I think the only thing they have shared is the magazine.

Then someone bought the Armalite name and started making "AR10" rifles but they are different.

DPMS LR308 pattern is different too but they let everyone copy so it's the closest to a standard we have got.

The AR15 has a much different story and a mil spec because versions of it have been adopted by militaries around the world.

i doubt theyre on the website, you will most likely have to call jp direct but they should sell you a part.

I emailed them and talked to Adam. He said they didn’t have any of that type anymore but they could get just the barrel but for the newer style handgards. I have since located a DPMS outer barrel nut in the for sale section. Thanks for your help!