• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought some Varget....did i go wrong?

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
So, I'm wanting to build a load for my AR15, and was looking for a powder that I could maybe load for my AR10 with. Calibers are .223 wylde and .308. I have a load for my bolt .308 that uses IMR 4895, and I dont believe that's a good choice for .223/5.56. I bought a pile of 69gr SMK, and some CCI 400, and was considering Ramshot TAC. However, I went to a LGS the other day, and he had a bunch of Hodgdon Varget. My Sierra manual has decent looking loadings for both .308 and .223, and actually had their "accuracy" load come out to be the one with Varget. My question is, did I go wrong buying it 4lb for $100, and am i to expect a let down, or confidence when using it for 69gr smk out of a 16" 1:8?

I personally would use the ramshot Tac since it can be thrown from a powder measure. That said varget is a good powder and works great for 223 or 308.

Varget is my go to powder for my 308 and my heavy 223 loads. I have even started to use it with my 6.5 creedmoor for my 123 grain bullet loads. It may not be the best powder for each application but I have found it to be very versatile and temperature stable. I also like not having to try to keep up with stocking 10 different powders which is another mark in it’s favor.

Reactions: Shadow knows
Good powder. You will be in the neighborhood of 23.5-24 grains. The CCI400 primer may be a bit thin for the AR. I've been able to get away with them at 24 grains with a 77 SMK and Varget, but 24.5 grains caused cratering. The 450 is a better choice.

I haven't worked up .308 yet but you will be good there, also.

Thank you all for your input. If I get rained out tomorrow, I'm going to try load some up. @Codiekfx400, are you suggesting I do not use my Lee powder thrower? I have always used that, then weighed and trickled each charge. Only IMR stuff though: maybe it flows differently?

If you throw then trickle then weigh that is fine. If you throw the varget directly into the case your asking for problems. I use a lee powder measure and I throw tac and other flowable powders directly into the case with no problems.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Quite a few people have chimed in on 223 but if you are loading 308 you should find a nice accurate load around 43-43.3 grains behind a 168. That gives me about 2650 with a 24” barrel. The next good node I found is up around 45.5 which gives me 2750 but that is close to the max load so obviously approach with caution.

Thanks. My bolt gun had a great node mid 42s with 4895, and that's above book. Will be starting from scratch with the Varget, but will be sticking with 168 smk. 20" 1:10 on both gas and bolt .308.

My 308 and 69 smk 223 eat varget every meal.

Besides when a libtard gets in office that varget will become gold again.

Reactions: Idaho-5R
Thanks. My bolt gun had a great node mid 42s with 4895, and that's above book. Will be starting from scratch with the Varget, but will be sticking with 168 smk. 20" 1:10 on both gas and bolt .308.

Every rifle I have tried the 43 grain load in shot it great. I have Federal brass that I got from Fed GMM ammo. If you are using Lake City or Lapua I believe the load is about the same. If you are using Winchester brass I believe it is closer to 43.3. With a 168 ELDM I have been able to get out to 1000 yards with the slower load but obviously the hotter load will do it a little better. I am shooting a 24” barrel though so I will get a little more velocity than you will out of a 20” tube.

next time buy a 8 lb, less time worrying about your load consistency from different power lots from 1 lbs. If you going to committed to Varget for your 223 and 308 just buy 2 8 lbs of the same lot and be done with it for the next few years.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Bump here so I dont have to start a new thread. Can I get some thoughts here on powder spread, so to speak. .2 increments or .3 for AR15 load development? They seem close, but its 3 more firing groups when going .2.

Reactions: Monk Medic