• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Boulder cops Elk shoot trial underway

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Sam Carter is now on trial for his part in shooting an elk a long while back.
His friend, Brent Curnow, copped a plea and got $10,000 fine, 60 days house arrest and the felony to be deleted if he is a good boy for a year.
Sam Carter is on trial now so we will see how the jury reacts to this case.
Some on here thought it should be swept under the rug. I really don't believe that is how they felt, just reacting to some asshole prodding them.
I feel that Curnow got off easy, should have been held to a higher standard. He did plead guilty.
The jury will figure Carter"s thing out and that is what our system is all about.
Personally, I think these two showed us some arrogance and disrespect to the people. You have to take into fact where this took place and posing for pictures.
Boulder is a bastion for bunny huggers, tree huggers, and anything else that is green and/or has to do with saving animals big and small.
Boulder Parks called me about re-locating prairie dogs out on my land because they didn't want to kill them??? Like I really want those SOBs?
You can't cure stupid. Regards, FM

These idiots are flooding into Wyoming for the jobs. We want them almost as much as you want those pdogs
They should throw the book at these goons.

A Boulder jury will lock this guy up and deservedly so as he's nothing more than a poacher with a badge

Maybe maybe not? It goes to a jury.
The only thing I can come up with is that the whole court pleads insanity. I am surprised it made it this far. FM

They found Carter guilty of 4 felonies and 5 misdemeanors. The blue line broke in this case. Sentencing in Aug.
Of all the places on earth to try this stunt, Boulder! They should have tried him for felony arrogance and felony STUPID. FM

I think the arrogance part is his main problem. He thought he could get away with it, and that rules were for others to follow. He has no one to blame but himself. If he was young he might claim affluenza...

As he has served for the good of the public for many years, I hope his sentence is not severe. Probably 1 year in jail, 5 years probation, etc. However, as a prior LEO, he is a target for retribution from thugs. He should really be able to keep his guns, which may save his life some day.

s

They found Carter guilty of 4 felonies and 5 misdemeanors. The blue line broke in this case. Sentencing in Aug.
Of all the places on earth to try this stunt, Boulder! They should have tried him for felony arrogance and felony STUPID. FM

Hallelujah. I hope they wear his booty hole out in the pen and he serves all 6 years. Nothing worse than a criminal with a badge.

I think the arrogance part is his main problem. He thought he could get away with it, and that rules were for others to follow. He has no one to blame but himself. If he was young he might claim affluenza...

As he has served for the good of the public for many years, I hope his sentence is not severe. Probably 1 year in jail, 5 years probation, etc. However, as a prior LEO, he is a target for retribution from thugs. He should really be able to keep his guns, which may save his life some day.

s

Really? Since he was a crooked cop he should get special exemptions made for him? Why not say he should keep his hunting rights because it was just one mistake and he might someday learn to hunt legally? I bet you are/were a cop. This Guy got a full dose of justice we barely ever see cops face because they watch each others backs. And people wonder why the police are getting less and less popular...

This..................
Really? Since he was a crooked cop he should get special exemptions made for him? Why not say he should keep his hunting rights because it was just one mistake and he might someday learn to hunt legally? I bet you are/were a cop. This Guy got a full dose of justice we barely ever see cops face because they watch each others backs. And people wonder why the police are getting less and less popular...

I really hadn't thought about that part of his deal and I don't think he was thinking about it either. I don't know how good a cop he was before but a lot of both officer's arrests were thrown out after this first broke out, so some bad guys walked.
A guy I used to drive trucks with got a DUI and begged to keep his license so he could support his family. The judge and the cop who caught him both told him,"You should have thought about that when you got behind the wheel drunk and drove, being a professional driver you should have known better."
That kind of fits here in a way but I see your point about his life being in danger especially if he had some questionable arrests and fucked someone over.
I think he deserves some hard time but doubt if he gets any. If he does they would have to keep him out of general population as if he was there it would probably be a death sentence.
The news coverage on this locally has been unbelievable. There was a reporter in there tweeting every move, every time someone farted. The locals held candle light marches and all kinds of Hippie shit. August should be interesting. FM

they would have to keep him out of general population as if he was there it would probably be a death sentence.

He should have thought about that before he did it.

If this is his first felony he should have to pay a large fine and that is it, we have murderers that get less time because we clog up the jails with non violent felons.

Officers have laws that protect them or at least carry extra weight regarding assault than compared to the regular citizen. Why? They should not and the argument otherwise is an exercise in self serving bullshit.

Fuck this guy if proven guilty. There is no special dispensation given other criminals given their vulnerability. The sooner these uniformed goons realize their shit don't stink the better.

If this is his first felony he should have to pay a large fine and that is it, we have murderers that get less time because we clog up the jails with non violent felons.

Saying it twice doesn't add validity. He should go sit in a cell just like the rest of us would. I am sure he put plenty of people in jail on non violent charges and bogus laws over the years, he should get a chance to experience a good long term incarnation. If he did 6 years I would support him getting his job back. I bet he would have gained some empathy.

I agree with Jerry, it's an elk. Hit him in the wallet. An animals life shouldn't equal years of a human life....should I say it twice?

Carter was convicted of attempting to influence a public official a Class 4 felony, one count of forgery a Class 5 felony, two counts of tampering with evidence both a Class 6 felony. Shooting the elk was one of 5 misdemeanors he was convicted of.
With that in mind Jerry do you think a fine is the right thing?
He did this 1 Jan. 13 and it wasn't long before it was resign or be fired. I don't know what he is doing for work now but doubt his wallet is fat enough to be hit very hard. You can't get blood out of a turnip.
All of the lying and deceit is what has everyone pissed off.
Event Horizon, they need to learn that their shit DOES stink. There, I fixed it for you. FM

"It is so rare for an animal to get any semblance of justice in our court system,” said resident Jessica Sandler. "Though we'd much rather have the elk back alive, hopefully a lying and corrupt cop will be going to jail for betraying the public trust in such an egregious fashion." According to the Daily Camera, Carter was convicted on nine counts, including “first-degree official misconduct, illegal possession of a trophy elk with a Samson Law surcharge, conspiracy to commit illegal possession of wildlife, unlawful taking of a big game animal out of season, and unlawful use of an electronic communication device to unlawfully take wildlife.” Carter now faces up to six years in prison. His sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 29. - See more at: Former Cop Found Guilty Of Killing Beloved Elk And Trying To Cover It Up

With all the publicity surrounding this I predict a long and unpleasant vacation for this POS.

As Maggot is describing and alluding, I'm good with that. The main reason being, badge-holders (ALL of them, not just police) are supposed to uphold the law. Simple as that. I don't know about 'down there', but up here in Canada there are a heck of a lot more badge-holders than just the police/RCMP. I know of a Forestry Supervisor who has a badge. (Not Fish and Wildlife,,,, just Forestry) The point being, there are so many "authorities" out there whom have to 'make their mark' it seems, and it doesn't matter what one does, or has done for however many decades.... all the sudden you get a ticket for some "unimaginable" thing.

Now, to make matters worse, for them to abuse their position AS WELL AS break so many laws (that each are 'heinous' and highly punishable) that us common-folk are threatened with losing all our rights/privileges, forfeiture of so many of our assets, facing heavy fines, as well as lengthy incarcerations.... The punishment deserved by these involved is nearly unimaginable.

Don't mistake me for the feather-sniffer's... I too am a hunter. But with the threat of so many penalties for doing ANYTHING wrong when out in the bush hangs over ALL of our heads... by THESE INDIVIDUALS.... and for them to make a mockery out of the whole process and procedure.... let's just say that part of me wants their grand-children to bear some of the continuance of these penalties. (only part... get over it.)

I get it that "To Serve And Protect" doesn't exist anymore. I'm not fine with that, but whatever.

But "To Abuse And Control" shouldn't exist either. And before anyone goes and destroys this thread,,, I am ONLY talking about these officers involved in this one particular situation. This is NOT a blanket statement, continent wide.

You guys Know he called his buddy who is a taxidermist to help him Dispose of the INJURED trophy elk.
I put in for a elk tag every year here with hopes of getting a chance at one half that size.
he should be held to the same standards as you or I if we did it, maybe, more.

I hope this thread can go on a bit and stay civil.
It took Boulder to get this going and does show what happens when enough citizens show up or show out.
This thing has been a media circus if you went on the net. or watched the evening news.
I have not formed an opinion as to sentencing. The Hippies , fruit and nuts, celestial seasonings, put a stop to 2 bad guys and I would think BPD acts nice now.
The blue line can break and God help your ass if it does as you Buddy is coppin and sqeelin on you. Your Shit Does stink. Regards, FM

Sorry if I am being an asshole, but nothing angers me more than a crooked cop. I have been on the receiving end of the long dick of the law. When one of these guys is caught out like this IMO they should be held twice as accountable as the rest of us.